• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Casual DM - 4E made for ME

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
A big thank you for this thread - it's exactly the issue that I'm keenest on!

I've occasionally started D&D 3.x campaigns, at varying levels, but the grind of preparing stuff in between sessions is very difficult. I'm very grateful to my current DM who is happy to wing it and let us worry about rules (behold the flying shapchanging stone dragon boat thing!)

But if I do end up moving house in the summer of next year, and I'm looking for a new group and the only way I can get one is by offering to run games - then 4e Shall Be My Saviour.

Raith5

Adventurer
I agree and relate completely with this post. It also reinforces the importance of having a range of good quality adventures/modules to help facilitate play. This was something lacking in 3rd ed.

GrayIguana

First Post
I think the OP was well said.

I'd love to be more than a Casual DM, but I can't get my regulars together more than 3-4 times a year. Granted we will play an entire Saturday til early Sunday, but I am by far the only person who keeps up with the rules. Fighter types dominate because no one has time to keep up with what their characters do. I've even gone so far as to type up a spell cheat sheet for one player, so she could play a cleric.

It also happens that I'm prepping a game for this weekend. We've crossed further into the high level range than we've ever done (19th level PCs), and too be honest, I've hated every moment of getting this one together. It seems that the last two weeks have been spent writing up the final encounters. If I didn't love how the story has developed, and how it needs to continue, I'd stop this campaign and start over.

I've also had some issues with the magic system, and I've done what the original poster does. I allow PCs to cast X amount of spells per day. In fact, I've gone a step further recently with my daughter (10 yrs old). She loves Harry Potter, and wanted to try D&D. I tried explaining the spell sytem, and in the end allowed her to cast any of her spells an unlimited amount of times. Basically if her character knows the spell, she can keep casting it all day. Granted, I'm just running a game for my daughter and my reluctant wife, but it seemed to work fine.

Finally someone else posted that they hope 4e will encourage more players to try the DMs seat. I'm so very hopeful in that aspect. My players (who've been with me for 15 to 20 years) won't even attempt it. One even said that they couldn't do what I do, so why try. An easier set of rules might help me to actually sit at the table on the players side fo the screen. (Though my fear is that I may actually stink as a player :) )

Hussar

Legend
I like Novemb5r, can we keep him/her/it? :D

Very well put. I'm not a casual DM or player. I get my weekly game in. For a while there I was actually playing twice a week. However, as a small business owner, parent, etc. I, in no way, have the time to devote to the hobby I had when I was 16. There's a reason I love campaigns in a box like the Adventure Paths or World's Largest Dungeon with a passion.

If 4e makes my job easier and doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the game, it's worth the upgrade.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Novem5er said:
For those who love 3e, as is, it must be frustrating to feel like you're being "left behind", especially when your dedication probably included hundreds of $$ on source books, etc.

Nah, this is exactly why I am staying behind. And with the OGL, there is the potential for both professional and completely legal amateur 3.x publishing for a long time to come. As I have said elsewhere, the OGL means that there has never been a better time to not switch editions. And the fact that there will be a 4.0 SRD means legions of us holdouts can take a good long look at 4E -- and play it -- so we get a chance to be swayed after initial release.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Like some of the other poster, I am not really a "casual dm", but I agree with many of the things Novem5er says. Of course I want DMing to be easier.

But it still mostly promises and playtest reports. No real evidence it will be easier.

I guess we may have to just wait to see the actual game.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think the OP's points 1) and 2) are very true. Point 3) is not so true IMXP, but anyway.

Generally speaking, making the game simpler and removing unnecessary complexities than don't add much to the game is quite a good idea for everyone, not just casual players/DMs.

I still consider myself a casual DM, because I don't buy loads of books (not after the first 2 years at least). From my point of view, making the game simpler is good to a certain point (too much means to remove fun things, but I know fun is more subjective than difficulty).

There are other things of 4e however that I think they go against casual gamers, first and foremost the idea of an "incomplete" set of core books, and "completing" the core classes etc at later stages.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Cyronax said:
Despite their protestations that I am not planting Small-sized bracers of armor +2 for a halfling monk in an adventure, my judgment has been right so far.
Bracers of armour resize themselves to fit the wearer.

SRD said:
Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with racial specific items.
The notable exception to this is magic armour and magic weapons. Bracers of armour are wondrous items and so don't fall under that exception.

WSmith

First Post
As I am curious, other than the stat card that was used for WWDDGD, are there examples or a consolidated list of what things are going to make 4e an easier to prep game? I see a bit here or there but has anyone actually compiled a total list?

I still think another was to capture the casual gamer is to have an introductory box set with some options removed. With 4e, the Heroic range, levels 1-10, seems like the right spot. Don't use different rules like the old Basic D&D and AD&D games were designed. Just limit the classes and races, and as a byproduct maybe some spells, skills, feats, etc. I will say the prep time in 3e is one of the major reasons that after 2 1/2 years of 3e that I went screaming back to AD&D and Basic D&D.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Raith5 said:
I agree and relate completely with this post. It also reinforces the importance of having a range of good quality adventures/modules to help facilitate play. This was something lacking in 3rd ed.
Which itself reinforces the importance of getting the SRD draft to the 3rd party developers so that I can get Pathfinder for 4th edition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads