D&D General Ch-Ch-Changes

MGibster

Legend
I will echo some of the sentiments. I believe alignment, if mentioned, will be an option part of the DMG. Over they years, we've seen alignment take a less prominent role in D&D and I expect it won't be long before it's a vestigial organ. I cut my teeth using alignments but I don't even use them at all these days.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
In 20 years, the default setting will be Eberron. All settings will have to incorporate Warforged, Shifters, Changelings, and Kalashtar.
All settings will use the system that will be created for Dragonmarks for various types of inherent magic powers.
Settings without a magical Mass-Transit system will be considered 'Quaint' and 'Outdated'.

Now if you'll excuse me, i have a LARGE amount of Blackmail, Intimidation, and Bribery to perpetrate in order to achieve this.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Smokebomb

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, 20 years ago most people still had flip phones. The very first black-and-white (incredibly small) touch screens were just starting to appear. The "advanced" cell phones had a physical keypad. Current VR systems are already past that, so who knows what we'll have in 20 years?

Technology is going to change a lot of things over the next 20 years, probably in ways we can't imagine right now.
Yeah, you're right. No one could have guessed 20 years ago that we'd all be connected online through social media platforms that we can access on touch-screen phones. Technology will change a lot in the next two decades, and I'm sure it will impact how we play the game in a significant way (but the old pen and paper will never die).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
(I know you're kidding, but I felt the need to respond to this seriously.)
In 20 years, the default setting will be Eberron.
I could live with that.
All settings will have to incorporate Warforged, Shifters, Changelings, and Kalashtar.
Shifters and Changelings are easy. Kalashtar are to an extent, but Warforged don't work in most worlds. I could see a constructed race being added to many other D&D worlds (like a Golemkin or Modron race), but not Warforged.
All settings will use the system that will be created for Dragonmarks for various types of inherent magic powers.
I could also get on board with that. I wouldn't transfer Dragonmarks to other worlds, but the could have a "Race Template" for playing planetouched options that work similarly to how Dragonmarked Races work in 5e (where you choose it as your subrace, get some spells, an additional spell list, and other minor buffs to replace some racial features).
Settings without a magical Mass-Transit system will be considered 'Quaint' and 'Outdated'.
I also could get on board with (that to an extent). My homebrew world uses "Ley Lines" (they function as the Unearthly Paths from TCoE) for travelling long distances.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
A lot of people are bringing up VR & AR gameplay... You can see some of this starting with the current early levels of VTT development, but I don't think it will go as far as some are saying. The tech has been around a long time for some of that. Take d&d surface demo that predates ancient internet tools like obsidian portal. The hardware caught up to the ~10,000$ surface table since then, but the amount of work that creating such a thing takes or running a campaign that still feels like a tttrpg game of d&d is likely to be fairly extreme. The same goes for the hololens nfl thing if an AR headset became more standard because it hoots straight into "I'm not sure if overhead on the gm will be worth the payoff" type reasons over a lesser good enough version that allows. Sure we might stumble into the development of an AGI & not collapse economically but you never know if aliens will attack too.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, you're right. No one could have guessed 20 years ago that we'd all be connected online through social media platforms that we can access on touch-screen phones. Technology will change a lot in the next two decades, and I'm sure it will impact how we play the game in a significant way (but the old pen and paper will never die).

While I agree that pen and paper will never die, I do believe they say the same thing about disco. 🕺

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases