• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chain fighter

rowport

First Post
Cool! I think you will like it! Ironically, the War of the Spider Queen series is high on my list to read, too! I have just waited for the whole series to be completed before reading it in one shot. Over the course of years, I tend to lose interest in really long series books.

B4cchus

Explorer
How about taking a goliath?
The big bonus there is that you can use a weapon of one size catgory larger, increasing the thret range of your spiked chain (as it's larger)

I can't seem to find the half-ogre anuwhere (except for the dragonlance version, which is medium) Anybody know where to find it?

Iku Rex

Explorer
B4cchus said:
..., increasing the thret range of your spiked chain (as it's larger)
(You mean "increasing the reach".)

It depends on the DM - I believe a recent FAQ clarification specifies that reach weapons can't reach any longer just because they're longer. Savage Species has a different rule: "For each size increase of a reach weapon, increase its reach by 5 feet".

B4cchus said:
I can't seem to find the half-ogre anuwhere (except for the dragonlance version, which is medium) Anybody know where to find it?
Races of Destiny. It first appeared in Savage Species, and aside from increasing the LA from +1 to +2 I think the RoD version is identical.

blaine_evans

First Post
i made a more non-fighter approach to spiked chains.

using the "living greyhawk deities document" (if your not allowed this, ignore this post) there is a hero-deity named tsolorandril. it is an LN deity with favored weapon spiked chain. a favored soul (FS) gains a free weapon proficiency at 1st level FS of their deities favored weapon, focus at level 3 and spec at level 12. That saves you on 3 feats. obviously int MUST be at least 13 for improved trip. this gives you the spiked chain power, divine spells (healing, buffs, item creation) and gives you more options later if you want to prestige. the living chain is a definite in the items to buy list, and if possible, have at least 2 people gain a level in marshal (minis handbook) for 2 minor auras: art of war (marshals cha. mod. to trip attempts) and motivate strength (cha. mod. to strength checks, like tripping) and if there is a third person, motivate dexterity (cha. mod. to initiative). the best part is, the first 2 auras stack because they are different.

Magesmiley

Explorer
Iku Rex said:
(You mean "increasing the reach".)

It depends on the DM - I believe a recent FAQ clarification specifies that reach weapons can't reach any longer just because they're longer. Savage Species has a different rule: "For each size increase of a reach weapon, increase its reach by 5 feet".

I haven't seen the FAQ clarification you're referring to, but from the SRD:

Large or larger creatures using reach weapons can strike up to double their natural reach but can’t strike at their natural reach or less.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads