• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chains and Misery - opinions?

Stockdale

First Post
I am currently playing a character slipping slowly into evil. I thought acquiring a slave would be a step in the right direction, but some decent rules regarding such things would be helpful. So my question is, does anyone out there have Chains and Misery? Have you found it useful and is it worth the cost?

I appreciate your help in making this purchase decision.

Kevin O'Reilly

First Post
No, "Evil" by AEG had some pretty decent rules for the decent into evil.

Each time you gain a "gift", you gain a "mark"...

So say, Spot +5, an eye in the back of the head. Toughness feat, scaly skin

Stuff like that, but better ...

Fenes 2

First Post
Hmmm... In one of my campaigns we have slave owners among the PCs, although they aren't evil.

I own Chains and Misery, but I don't recall using it much if at all - although I have to add that I usually don't use d20 sourcebooks for rules, just for ideas and maybe flavor, and the flavor of chains and misery is quite specific. It has, iirc, some rules concerning slave behaviour and rebellion.

It may be useful, but I think a treatise of slavery in the orient, the roman empire and greece may serve you better if you are just looking for "fluff" and not rules.

caixa

First Post
Where abouts in White Lake?

Hey,

I'm also in White Lake area, Stockdale, and wondering if you have enough players or need a couple more? I'll be gone this week - until the August 10th or so, but I'll check this board when I get back.

Caixa

Iron_Chef

First Post
I have Chains & Misery and it was a bit too world specific for my taste, but otherwise was an excellent, super-detailed look at pretty much all aspects of slavery. I would only see this level of detail being useful if you were running a "Slave Lords" (A1-4)campaign or something similar, with one or more of the PCs being the slave lords. I've gotten zero use out of it so far, but don't really regret the purchase. It'll get used sooner or later.

Stockdale

First Post
Iron_Chef - Thanks for the advice. That's just the sort of comment I am looking for.

Does anyone else have the supplement and used it (or not) in there the game?

Caixa - I'll send you an email regarding our game.

Hey, Stock -- I also don't have Chains and Misery, but this does sound like exactly the kind of plot that Book of Vile Darkness was written for. It's actually a fairly good book, in spite of a lot of the hoopla surrounding it's release.

Also, I moved this weekend so was unavailable -- I'll post in our online game later today...

Stockdale

First Post
Thanks for the tips, Josh.

What I am most interested in are rules for cost and upkeep, rebellion, etc. The brief writeup of Chains and Misery indicated that it held such data. I'd like to know if this has source been used and whether its worked well. Does BOVD contain such information as well?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads