D&D (2024) Change in Charisma Description

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
In the real world, of course physical attractiveness has bearing on our interactions. There's no reason it has to be the same way in a fantasy world. "Elves are pretty" is right in their description, but no one is forced to react positively to a random elf.

In fact, player characters aren't forced to interact with Charisma at all, since they are completely allowed to dislike someone with high Charisma! So, as a result, only NPC's care about physical attractiveness anyways, and that's the DM's prerogative to take into account, if at all.

Clint_L

Hero
I don’t know how you got that idea about success from what I said. I you look at my entire post I think you will see that isn’t what I am saying. My point was letting people decide if attractiveness (which I defined quite broadly) was part of their charisma score, but it shouldn’t have to be. I also pointed to where physical beauty could be a minus rather than a plus
Charisma has a direct bearing on success in numerous situations in game, such as a persuasion check, not to mention entire character classes. People already can decide if they want their character to be attractive, which is fine, but that's not what the 2e description does. It mandates attractiveness as one element of charisma: "attractiveness certainly plays a role." I both disagree that that is necessarily true, but more importantly think that it is an actively harmful concept that we need to stop reiterating to young people.

Edit: Every year we deal with students with eating disorders linked to their self-image. You are not going to convince me that requiring players to consider attractiveness as an element of a key ability is needed in D&D.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Also what CHR does mechanically matters. Obviously this varies by edition but in 2e at least, it is your reaction adjustment, your loyalty base and also your max number of henchmen. The latter isn't just going to be about what you look like (you can make an argument that physical attractiveness might be a factor in reaction rolls, but I think for keeping henchmen over the long term, that is probably going to be about other leadership qualities---attractiveness could be a factor, people might stick with someone they find appealing longer, but I think that is probably lower on the list than other things like how that person makes them feel).

Also some things ought to be contextual. A PC who is a politician or bard might take a penalty to CHR if they gain a facial scar. Someone who leads a troop of hardened soldiers might gain a bonus.
This is also how I approach it, and why I generally don't think of looks as factor of that in my games. I would say the vast majority of situations where a Charisma modifier comes up, attractiveness, without even getting in to how personally variable that assessment is, doesn't really have a bearing. It's really just persuasion, and maybe deception. The one that really makes me throw it out is the idea of Charisma Saving Throws. Those resistances, like Banishment, Calm Emotions, Zone of Truth are all about exerting your will over your own being, and maintaining your sense of self. It just doesn't work for my brain to have beauty affect that.

I do like your last sentence though, in slight contradiction to that.

Scribe

Legend
Edit: Every year we deal with students with eating disorders linked to their self-image. You are not going to convince me that requiring players to consider attractiveness as an element of a key ability is needed in D&D.

The premise of the thread is literally not requiring you to do such.

Irlo

Hero
We can imagine an attractive character with a low charisma, and we can imagine an unattractive character with a high charisma. We can imagine a rakish scoundrel who falls for any handsome face, and we can imagine a vain prince who is suspicious of any handsome rivals. We can imagine beholders who don’t care what you look like. What do we gain from including beauty as a component of CHA?

I don’t want players to think they can’t describe their PCs
as imagine them, regardless of CHA, and I don’t want DMs telling players they can’t be attractive without a 15+ ability score. I don’t want DMs policing how the characters role play. Let the dice rolls and the ability modifiers determine how effective the PC’s action are. They won’t be able to fake a high charisma through role play any more than they can fake a high dexterity.

Charisma has a direct bearing on success in numerous situations in game, such as a persuasion check, not to mention entire character classes. People already can decide if they want their character to be attractive, which is fine, but that's not what the 2e description does. It mandates attractiveness as one element of charisma: "attractiveness certainly plays a role." I both disagree that that is necessarily true, but more importantly think that it is an actively harmful concept that we need to stop reiterating to young people.

Personally I would have it say ‘can play a role’ as I think that is more accurate but certainly plays a role in that context is fairly minimal: they are trying to minimize how important appearance is to CHR

But again look at my whole post, I am not stopping with the 2E definition in my view on charisma and appearancre. The view I expressed is should be able to be a part of a character’s score if the player thinks it fits. But charismatic characters don’t have to be good looking

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We can imagine an attractive character with a low charisma, and we can imagine an unattractive character with a high charisma. We can imagine a rakish scoundrel who falls for any handsome face, and we can imagine a vain prince who is suspicious of any handsome rivals. We can imagine beholders who don’t care what you look like. <snip>

I don’t want players to think they can’t describe their PCs
as imagine them, regardless of CHA, and I don’t want DMs telling players they can’t be attractive without a 15+ ability score. I don’t want DMs policing how the characters role play. Let the dice rolls and the ability modifiers determine how effective the PC’s action are. They won’t be able to fake a high charisma through role play any more than they can fake a high dexterity.

I am totally on board with all of that.

<insert snip>

What do we gain from including beauty as a component of CHA?

As a mandated component? Nothing, I think that would be bad.

As a possible component? What @Scribe said. Or are we banning people who get their way just on looks from existing in the game world.

On the other hand, I think I get what @Clint_L is saying, and in my own imaginary-heartbreaker-in-my-head I don't have a Charisma (or Int or Wis) stat, in part for related reasons. Do the kids who feel they are unpopular feel that way because of appearance, or because it's their personality too? (I replaced them with Perception and Will Power, tentatively with nothing in place of Charisma for usual interactions).

I can see a slippery slope with Str, Dex, and Con being problematic too (do we value athletes more?)... but I'm for keeping those.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases