D&D 3E/3.5 Change to 3.5 Edition Monks

Tyrion

First Post
Although the 3.5 edition monk has been improved in flexibility, I still think the class is weak in terms of power and overall usefulness to the party. The main reason seems to be high stat-dependency.

So, I was thinking about a simple solution: in addition to the ability score increase a character gets every four levels, the monk should get an additional one every four levels, starting at level 2. In other words, at levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18 a monk would get a free one point boost to an ability score of choice. I think this fits with the monk's class philosophy of relentless self-improvement, and it alleviates the problems of stat-dependency.

Assuming you think the monk needs a power boost, what do you think of this solution?

Technik4

First Post
I would try something a little more radical. Give them the bonuses at the same level they normally get them. 4,8,12,16,20. This alleviates frontloading and presents an interesting mechanic for monks. In their paths to enlightenment, instead of +1 they receive a +2 to whatever score they wish.

Technik

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Heh. I'm still trying to get my gaming group to accept that the Monk isn't overpowered. They just can't seem to grasp the facts of the situation.

DreamChaser

Explorer
it is the ability at every level. People see that on a chart and scream munchkin. Those same people can look at the cleric section, see only level of abilities under "special" and scream underpowered.

DC

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
DreamChaser said:
it is the ability at every level. People see that on a chart and scream munchkin. Those same people can look at the cleric section, see only level of abilities under "special" and scream underpowered.

The problem is, they're smarter than that. It's the Monk unarmed damage combined with flurry of blows. And the adamantine Ki Strike.

I've managed to convince them that etherealness is not as powerful as they think it is, because they've been letting it do things it shouldn't.

Dark Magus

First Post
I'd say go ahead and playtest it, thats gonna be the only sure way to know if its balanced or not, if it makes the class to overshadowing, take it out, if not, leave it in.

There my two copper.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tyrion said:
Any other comments? Is this change too good for monks, not good enough, not in the spirit of monk-ness?

Yes, I think it's too much. I think they have increased in both power and flexibility -- enough so that they're quite playable.

If you're going to give them stat bonuses, do it at designated class levels, rather than character levels. That would solve the complications arising from multiclassing.

But I don't think the idea of stat bonuses is a very elegant way to go about it. It's just not the sort of thing that classes are made of.

If you're the DM, then just give the guy a really hot magic item to make him a little more powerful. Problem solved.

Remove ads