D&D 5E Changeling (from the UA article): crazy broken?

Bolares

Hero
It's the changeling's ability, and in the UA thread it was clarified that the polymorph word is misuded in the description, the change is only aesthetic, you don´t get the stats or abilitys of the humanoid you transform. The writers clarified it by twitter

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If you consider Tweets "official," here's a Tweet from Mike Mearls who did the write-up.

fZ487rL.jpg

Roger

First Post
It's pretty terse, and I expect that some of the feedback they get on this draft will be related to needing to expand on this sort of thing.

I took a look at the Monster Manual for some further insight.

There's basically two sorts of powers that refer to polymorph:

Change Shape. -- Angels, several dragons, etc.

This power is usually defined with: "In the new form, the creature retains its game statistics and ability to speak, but its AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form."

Shapechanger. -- quasits, imps, and most notably doppelgangers, among others.

This power is usually defined with, to use the quasit as an example: "The quasit can use its action to polymorph into a beast form that resembles a bat (speed 10ft. fly 40ft.), a centipede (40ft., climb 40ft.), or a toad (40ft., swim 40ft.), or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form, except for the speed changes noted."

To consider the doppelganger: "The doppelganger can use its action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid it has seen, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form."

Taken altogether with the way the changeling's shapechanger is defined, this leads me to believe that a changeling can indeed polymorph into a same-sized humanoid it has seen, but its statistics -- ability scores, movement modes and speeds, senses, etc -- do not change at all.

I hope, and am hopeful, that they'll include this sort of clarification in future drafts.

Cheers,
Roger

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Well. For one, as DM I would not permit a thri-kreen...assuming the changling had seen one in the first place. It is not a "humanoid." It is an insect. Yes, I know the term 'humanoid" is a creature type and the thri-kreen are, in fact, listed in the MM as "humanoid (thri-kreen)", but I would say/rule the creature's additional limbs is a step too far to their abilities as, obviously, intended.

Aarakocra, I would think the more likely issue is the Changeling will not have seen one. And, similarly, is not a humanoid. Aarakocra in 5e have separate wings. Their arms are not wings, as in former editions. So, the Changeling could not, actually, make themselves an aarakocra since (as with the thri-kreen) they can not give themselves additional limbs.

The Merfolk, I have no issue with them doing that to be able to move/survive in an aquatic environment. Seems a perfectly reasonable and expected use of the power. However, again, the question then becomes, "When/where did your character see a merman [aquatic elf, locatha, etc...] to emulate?"

The answer to any of those "you have seen" questions, for a game I were DMing would be "if it's not a common humanoid type [as one would see walking around town]" that if it hasn't happened "in play", then it hasn't happened.

I don't think "saw it in a book" is sufficient for this ability, as written or intended, hence the "have seen" stipulation. So, for a "typical/standard" [if such a thing exists] D&D world stuff like humans, elves [the presence of drow would be an individual table call, mine would be a no], dwarves, halflings. Perhaps gnomes, half-elves, dragonborn, tieflings. Depending on the area the character is from: lizardmen, orcs, hobgoblins, half-orcs....are warforged medium or large? Goblins are "small" so they can't do that, since it has to be a creature "your size" and the changeling's size is medium, right?

Seems like the power is/would be significantly more useful in urban/intrigue/populated-type campaigns than dungeon delving.

So...yeah. I don't see it as being OP. In fact, as read, it could be U[nder]P if one were to interpret the "that you've seen" part to mean you can only become/change into a particular person/individual and not the type of creature they are. Which, to me, doesn't make a whole lot of [flavor] sense and they should definitely clear up the final language on that to make it clear they are talking about a species and not individuals only.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't think "saw it in a book" is sufficient for this ability, as written or intended, hence the "have seen" stipulation.

Were I DMing an Eberron game, I actually *might* let a changeling character try and emulate the features of a humanoid based upon looking at pictures in a book... although the Deception check needed to pull it off might be more difficult (perhaps with Disadvantage?)

Reason being... I see the changeling's features change to be like using a disguise kit to masquerade as someone... only without needing to use the materials in the kit, plus applying it much, much faster. And if I'd be willing to let someone see a picture in the book, say of an elf, and try to create/make a disguise using make-up and the disguise kit... I'd probably allow the changeling to do the same thing. In both cases, the ultimate disguise might not be that *good*... but it would certainly be attemptable. I've seen enough episodes of 'Face Off' on SyFy channel to know that most of them create their make-ups using only photo references and their own creativity to what they think it should look like, to believe that the same sort of thing could be tried in-game as well (even if unlikely to succeed in fooling a lot of people.)

ranger69

Explorer
The way I interpret the changeling is that it takes on the features of the humanoid it has seen. It does not change statistics. Therefore the more outlandish the humanoid it is attempting to replicate, the greater the chance of detection. This is before anybody tries any social interaction with the changeling in it's acquired shape.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think the restriction that the changeling has to have seen members of these races is (or could be) the balancing factor.

I agree. It's similar to the moon druid, and a very real factor that a lot of people seem to gloss over. What are the chances your PC has seen a merman or Aarakocra? Probably not very high.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I suspect that when the polished Changeling gets released, the shapechange will be defined in purely cosmetic, skin-level "disguise self" types of terms, and that you gain no physical features or abilities that come with your new form. No flying, no swimming, no additional perception or breathing types, etc. And were I to have a player select changeling for their PC, that's also pretty much how I would rule that ability of theirs right now.

Their skin is malleable and can change color and stretch... but their actual physical body on the whole (inside and out) doesn't morph.

This is pretty much how I read it. Seemed silly otherwise.

Remove ads