D&D 5E Changeling (from the UA article): crazy broken?

Quirks, flaws, tragic back stories for of plot hooks, and other things all add to the game and fun, even when those things cause issues. Most of those issues don't come up in combat and if they do then that is where I have an issue, screw around during the social and exploration pillars and make life difficult for everyone else fine mostly add to the roleplaying experience.
I can see 2 out of 3 we can agree on (within reason, too much screwing is just being a jerk).

Now during the combat pillar I like people to bring their A game. But doing so does mean you have to understand your DM.
A short bow is a great option if your DM likes to impose disadvantage on longbow use in a dungeon environment.
A glaive is a wonderful weapon all on it's own and easily equal to or better than a great axe for some builds.
Kama over greatsword, ehh unless you are a monk that is a bit to far for my tastes.
Chain mail over plate if you don't have that 15 strength I can see it but no reason to not use the plate if you have it.

I have in my own head a base line... I don't mind dropping below it in 1 pillar a bit (if you do so knowingly and not by accident) as long as I can make it up in another... I personally don't like plate except for knights... and that goes as a DM and player. if I'm playing random warrior A I will 9/10 of the time top out at scale or chain. If I play a knight or paliden, plate it is...

The idea that the DM will fix these combat quirks with magic item patches also is something I don't like, it is like when the character puts a low stat in strength knowing his DM will just give out Gauntlets of Ogre power to compensate, kinda lame to me.

it bugs me too. I have no issue giving out items to compensate a bit, but if you try to game the system man am I pissed (again as both a PC and GM)
But the above like pretty much most stuff on the internets is one guys opinion, there is no wrong way to play the game, just different ways.
yea, totally true... and I bet you would be fine at most of my tables... and I could most likely play at most of yours...

Remove ads