Level Up (A5E) Changes to race (species?)

Anyway, if we are not going into class design and just consider how a more crunchy, extra options version of the game should handle the species, this is how I'd do it:

Break down all features and bonuses of the species to clearly defined half feats/ASIs. Then you can have the species as pre-built packages of these traits, everyone getting the same amount. (Six, maybe? Being small might be worth negative one and there could be other such 'flaws' that let you have more traits.)

But then it would be super easy for people to customise these species, or if some people wanted more freedom, then they could just built their trait package from the scratch. Just choose any six. Or the half way point where the species are somewhat flexible; they might have nine traits and you get to choose six of them. And of course two of these traits are directly tradeable for an actual feat. And even for people who like rigidly defined species this system would be a boon, as it would make defining mechanics of new species super simple; just choose which six traits they have. Each campaign could easily customise how rigidly they want their species to be defined.

I think this really would be the best way to handle it. There are fundamental disagreements about what people want the species to be and I don't think any one inflexible way will ever satisfy everyone (or even nearly everyone.)

Yeah.

In sum:

• Player normally customizes and creates a species.
• The setting-description of any species offers three or more diverse examples of cultures.
• Each culture is the sum total of individual cultural backgrounds, like cards in a deck.

So similar to the way the Players Handbook encourages players to create their own Background, it is also possible to encourage players to create their own species. Ideally, a species is a feat to add a +2 ability improvement, a feat to add a +1 ability improvement along with proficiencies and-or ribbons, and a feat for a special racial ability, such as Misty Step. These feats can be reused in different ways to tweak or create a species.

Empowering the player to customize the species is most important. Even when WotC and Enworld take pains to maximize inclusiveness for reallife identities, the tradition to customize the species allows a player to resolve any unintended problematic a specific gaming table.

When officially describing a species, there should be three or more major features to choose from. For example, officially, some High Elves can have Misty Step, some High Elves can have Mage Armor, some High Elves can have Elven Accuracy. As the High Elf gains levels, they can pick up one or more of the other major features. Similarly, some Orcs might be Large (with a d6 size bonus to damage after calculation), while others have other major features. Darkvision is equivalent to a cantrip which seems equivalent to one martial weapon proficiency or two skill proficiencies.

When a player customizes a species, for example, they can choose one of the other suggestions for the major species, or swap the major feature for any feat.

Narratively, each species can have THREE abilities be prominent. For example, High Elf: Charisma, Intelligence, and Dexterity. The Player can choose ONE of these three for the ability improvement, or if the player prefers can choose any of the less typical abilities. The narrative makes clear that these three abilities a prominent and even celebrated, but dont represent all individuals.

• Player can officially customize and create a species.

Even when the player has the ability to tweak or to create a species, D&D still needs to present setting-narratives for each species, in a way that is inclusive.

Here the goal is to avoid essentialist racism, by noting both different kinds of cultures and individual diversity. Each species should have at least three notable cultures.

For example, the D&D Orc tradition is culturally something like a demonized fusion of African animists and Genghis-Khan Mongolian imperialists, and physically an animalized fusion of boar, gorilla, and neanderthal human. Traditionally, the Half-Orc playable species has low Intelligence and low Charisma, along with brute Strength and Constitution. These African-Asian tropes are Chaotic Evil.

Today, the physical prowess is admired, and individual Orcs are portrayed attractively. Yet the unfortunate tropes remain in place.

Tentatively, for the Forgotten Realms setting, I want to see:

The Orc becomes a normal playable species, replacing or in addition to the Half-Orc. (The origin of the Half-Orc assuming the rape of a human woman is also a problematic.)

The Evil "savage" Orc polytheistic Gruumsh culture can remain in place if there are notable alternative cultures.

An alternative Good "savage" Orc culture. The Many-Arrows tradition seems ok, but should probably be Good, to counter the racism of "animists are Evil primitives". I would be cool if this culture averages high Intelligence and Wisdom, in the sense of Wizardry and Druidry, flavoring as folk-medicine biological sciences and sacred coexistence with nature spirits. These Orcs are fully animistic (egalitarian neighborly coexistence with natural forces is sacred) and lack gods.

An alternative "urban" Orc culture. Where the "savage" alternative should be Good. It seems ok to me if the urban culture is Neutral, like normal humans. Here I would like to see Charismatic Orcs, operating politically. Actively avoid African American urban criminal gang tropes. Perhaps have a kind of "urban animism" that lives in sacred coexistence with urban spirits. (Compare the television series Tales from the Loop for examples of technological animism, where features of technology takes on a life of their own, in an inexplicable way that can be both wondrous or tragic. Urban fey who personify aspects of city life are possible too.) There are Orc-majority cities, as well as multi-species cities, where Orcs are one of several communities of the city.

Separately, there should also be human examples of animist, African, and Mongolian tropes that are positive and humanized.

So the Orc cultures are: Evil savage. Good Intelligent animists. Charismatic political urbanized animists. Something like that while noting there are also other cultures.

• Each species has three or more diverse cultures.
• If one of these cultures is problematic, the other two cultures need to be designed cautiously to contrast it.
• Three and more cultures convey that this species can be diverse and evolving.

While diverse cultures prevents the species from becoming essentialized, each culture itself must not become essentialized. Here the solution is to emphasize that cultures are made out of individuals. Here cultural backgrounds conveys the personal component as a member of a culture. While there can be "modal" backgrounds that are prominent within a culture and tend to characterize that culture, there are also many individuals with backgrounds that are non-modal that also comprise and round out that culture.

• Each culture is never monolithic
• A culture comprises diverse individuals defined by backgrounds.
• Modal backgrounds are the ones that are more prominent and tend to characterize the culture.

In sum:

• Player normally customizes and creates a species.
• The setting-description of any species offers three or more diverse examples of cultures.
• Each culture is the sum total of individual cultural backgrounds, like cards in a deck.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Different strokes, I guess.

This I think is something crunchy enough to discuss. The issue with increasing the point buy or encouraging more generous rolling is that any racial Strength (or whatever) bonus stacks on top of it, which puts us right back into the territory of goliaths being the optimal fighters. Wording the floating bonus the way I did avoids that problem.
My proposal would actually be to not have any level 1 ASIs, so no stacking.

I'm having trouble reconciling this with your statement above about floating ASIs being boring. If you're going to float two bonuses freely between four scores, isn't that much more of an argument for just forgetting about it and increasing the point buy?
No, not IMO. It means that Goliaths are still Strong and Hearty in a way that come across with a quick scan of the race, but the player can choose instead to just take the class bumps.

My actual preference would be to give every class a +2 from a couple choices, and change nothing about racial ASIs, but I’ve seen a lot of people express that it bothers them that they can’t make a weak bookworm Minotaur, and others hate the idea of just adding more points to CharGen. IMO, the balance of the game remains perfectly intact with a PB as high as 34 points, so I am certain that an extra +2 won’t break literally anything, but I can’t design just for myself.

If feel the player character can choose the ability score improvements from any TWO of the following choices:
• Species (one of three abilities)
• Cultural Background (one of two abilities)
• Class (one ability)
• Subclass Archetype (one ability)

Effectively, this means the player can have whichever ability improvement one wants (and can even outright customize it), but this way, there is an overt connection between the ability and the narrative.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

I mean, that's pretty much textbook whataboutism. Instead of arguing why it's okay, you're just saying "Well why didn't people complain when X did it?!".
No, it isn’t. It is a reply to the notion that putting ASIs in culture is “obviously” racist, and if I think doing so is okay I should “never publish games”. If it were true, the very very popular game supplement that does so would be raising objections, and wouldn’t be doing well.

I haven’t argued “they’re doing it and it’s fine so I can too”, I argued, “No, it’s not ‘blatantly obvious’ that it’s bad to do so, and my success or failure as a game product designer won’t be likely to hinge on whether I do so.” And gave an example of a product that counters the narrative that I am challenging.

Undrave

Legend
Training is represented by distributing your stats. The ability score adjustmens reflect basic aptitude which is influenced by race only, not training for a class or culture.
A halfling can train a lot to be strong and be stronger than most average or untrained humans, but a trained orc will be stronger than a trained halfling simply because of biology. And there is nothing bad about that, those are different races/species so of course their biology is different.

In the end, I think the thing we should avoid is having races that are smarter than others. Basically, a race should only boost STR, DEX or CON, and never the other three, which might be best left to the background.

doctorbadwolf

If feel the player character can choose two ability score improvements from:
• Background (one of two abilities)
• Class (one ability)

Effectively, this means the player can have whichever ability improvement one wants (and can even outright customize it), but this way, there is an overt connection between the ability and the narrative.
Exactly. I would keep it simpler, and make it just race and class, but if we wanna get complicated we could.

If feel the player character can choose two ability score improvements from:
• Background (one of two abilities)
• Class (one ability)

This is just pointless complexity for no gain. If you want players to be able to put bonuses wherever then just do that instead of constructing this meaningless rigamarole.

No, it isn’t. It is a reply to the notion that putting ASIs in culture is “obviously” racist, and if I think doing so is okay I should “never publish games”. If it were true, the very very popular game supplement that does so would be raising objections, and wouldn’t be doing well.

I haven’t argued “they’re doing it and it’s fine so I can too”, I argued, “No, it’s not ‘blatantly obvious’ that it’s bad to do so, and my success or failure as a game product designer won’t be likely to hinge on whether I do so.” And gave an example of a product that counters the narrative that I am challenging.
That product just has 'elf culture' dwarf culture' and so on. Once you do the same for cultures with obvious real world analogues it gets racist really quick and you must be blind to not see that.

Stalker0

Legend
but I’ve seen a lot of people express that it bothers them that they can’t make a weak bookworm Minotaur

you put an 8 in str, and with +2 it’s a 10. That’s downright feeble for a Minotaur, you are one of the weakest Minotaurs in existence...congrats.

but yes your still a Minotaur, a race of big strong people. So with your own people your anemic, but with smaller races your just “ok”.

why is that a problem? Why do we have to turnover the Apple cart of race design for this? Point buys don’t allow 3s in a stat by default, does that need to change so you can “really” play that bookish Minotaur?

doctorbadwolf

In the end, I think the thing we should avoid is having races that are smarter than others. Basically, a race should only boost STR, DEX or CON, and never the other three, which might be best left to the background.
Ugh. This I absolutely hate. I get where you’re coming from, but gnomes being noticeably smarter than humans is part of what makes building Gnomish societies interesting.

I’m fine with an alternative to racial ASIs as a variant rule, though, so whatever.

Remove ads