Level Up (A5E) Changes to race (species?)

1) I‘m they’re more imaginative than you give them credit for. :)

2)Not to echo Corrosive, but how do you know? I guess we’ll find out when we get to that survey.
1) This is what I have noticed over the years. After a time, they buy it. But not at first.

2) No you don't sound corrosive, rest assured. But you do realize that Enworld has a different community than some other forums don't you? Adding stuff will be warmly received, but make sure you don't change it too much. Or if you do, make sure it is fully optional. Again, the moto of don't fix it if it ain't broken comes to mind.

I strongly believe in a book that will give tricks and and clarifications. Not in a book that will try to catter to the current sensibilities.

I have found and taken the survey. The kingdom rules would be great.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think the path taken by Ancestry & Culture is the way to go. Keep ability adjustments (on the culture side), let people have the same options they've always had, but split ancestry and culture so people can mix and match if they want.

J-H

Hero
I would go the other way and make racial differences more pronounced - no more Half-X. Let's see some truly alien species instead of "humans but more X." The best attempt I've seen at this was a forum post a few years ago where someone talked about how elves perceived the passage of time differently, sometimes spending decades at a time focused on a given project in a sort of slow-time.

Background or class also giving a stat bonus is fine. I just think removing genetic diversity and making every species the same makes things boring. Left Hand of Darkness grey people, etc.
I feel like we've had this discussion before.

Retreater

Legend
Maybe have race/species/culture be just a flavor? Have a training modifier to physical stats and personality modifier for mental stats. So "half-orc" doesn't mean anything stats wise, but if he's a nimble (+2 Dex) and learned (+2 Int) half orc, that's where the stats bonuses come from?

That’s not the book we’re writing. We’re writing a core game.
Ho... not what I understood. I thought it would be a book to enhanced the current edition with rules, add ons and other nick nacks to make 5ed crunching. If it is en entirely new game... count me out. Sorry you wasted time with me.

Last edited:

Larrin

Entropic Good
“Human but more X” is the closest to inhuman a human brain can adequately roleplay.

I'm inclined to agree. I strongly suspect if given a race of sentient chairs with a fully spelled-out and inhuman thought profile, I imagine that most people would role-play them as "humans who think they are chairs", and the people that really got it and could fully dive into the characters would role-play them as "Humans who know they are chairs". We anthropomorphize. It's the go to way we relate to the world.

Remove ads