• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Channeling spells and AoO's

emoplato

First Post
I was wondering if a character who could channel spells into their melee weapon would still provoke any attack of opportunity when casting through that weapon?

Wyvernhand

First Post
Depends on the ability. A Duskblade does not because it says it doesn't (also, because its a SU ability and SU abilities never provoke). A Spellsword does because its a SP ability, and SP abilities provoke AoOs. Casting a Smiting Spell would provoke because it is casting a spell. I can't think of any other Arcane Channeling abilities, but for reference, consult the list of Special Abilities.

emoplato

First Post
Depends on the ability. A Duskblade does not because it says it doesn't (also, because its a SU ability and SU abilities never provoke). A Spellsword does because its a SP ability, and SP abilities provoke AoOs. Casting a Smiting Spell would provoke because it is casting a spell. I can't think of any other Arcane Channeling abilities, but for reference, consult the list of Special Abilities.
So, for the Spellsword, would it be for move action to store, the attack that delivers, or even both? I assume the move action, right?

Wyvernhand

First Post
Just the move action. The attack isn't a special ability. If you channel the spell into your weapon out of threat range, it wouldn't provoke. Ideally, you'd like to spend your move action to store, take a 5' step, and then standard action attack to release the spell. That way you are hopefully out of AoO range of your foe but still close enough you can hit them in the same turn.

Alternatively, since its a SP, you can make a Concentration check to "cast" defensively.

Remove ads