D&D 5E Character build suggestions

jusdup

Villager
Hey folks,

I have a player that rolled his stats in order and would like to come up with some builds around the following stats outside of a fighter or a paladin.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 11
Ch 14

The character will be starting at level 6.

Thanks in advance.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hey folks,

I have a player that rolled his stats in order and would like to come up with some builds around the following stats outside of a fighter or a paladin.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 11
Ch 14

Thanks in advance.

These would fit a half elf lore bard very well.

Any of the various artificers. Also makes an excellent wizard of almost any race.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
With such a high Int and Str, I'd go for

Human (I'd go non-variant to round those 17,11 and 13)
Psi-Knight
2-handed weapon
Defensive FS

lvl 4 feat: Great Weapon Master
lvl 6 feat: Telekinetic (+1 Int)
Lvl 8: +2 Str
lvl 12 feat : Telepathic (+1 int)
lvl 14 feat: Resilient(Wis) (+1 wis)
lvl 16 feat: skill expert (Athletic, +1 Wis)
lvl 19: +2 wis

Coroc

Hero
Hey folks,

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 11
Ch 14

Thanks in advance.
Multi class high elf fighter mage

Half-Orc Abjuration Wizard who likes mixing it up in melee with two handed smashes from her quarterstaff while keeping herself somewhat safe with Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements, Relentless Endurance, and her Arcane Ward (when that comes online at level 2.)

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
I'd suggest a Githyanki melee Wizard. The character will start with a 20 STR and 18 INT.

Optimal would be to go Quarterstaff and Shield, with PAM as the 4th level feat. Take Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade, and Haste. Usual combat round (after Haste is up) will be to cast a leveled spell or BB/GFM as an Action, Attack Action with the Haste action, and then Bonus Action PAM attack. At 8th level take Warcaster, so that the character can use Booming Blade as a Reaction against anyone who approaches. Note that until the character gets Warcaster, keeping up Haste is going to be tricky.

Much less optimal (but still playable) would be the same spell loadout, but wield a greatsword and take GWM instead of PAM. Haste is even more critical with this approach, since GWM is dependent on number of attacks. Still take Warcaster at 8, but take Sentinel at 12 for more GWM attacks.

Finally, I know Paladin was excluded, but I'd like to point out that this character actually has the stats to pull off a Paladin/Wizard multiclass, which in some ways is even better than a Paladin/Sorcerer (other than needing so many good stats). Notable subclasses for this multiclass include Conquest (for Armor of Agathys), Abjuration (for Armor of Agathys shenanigans) and Bladesinger (for getting Extra Attack on the Wizard side and limiting Paladin to a dip, and Armor of Agathys shenanigans starting at Wizard 10.) Like a Paladin/Sorcerer the character gets Smite and tons of spell slots for combat, but unlike the Paladin/Sorcerer the character can take the Wizard's niche utility spells for out of combat, and benefit from the much-superior Wizard subclasses.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Dang, read to fast and missed it was ''outside of paladins and fighter''.

Sorry.

Another try:

Human, Wizard 6
War Mage

V.Human Bonus: +1 Dex, +1 Int
V.Human Feat (+1 Dex, light armor)

lvl 4 feat: Medium Armored

lvl 8 feat: Warcaster

lvl 12: +2 Int

lvl 16 feat: Resilient (Con) Con +1

lvl 19: +2 str

Focus (1-handed staff), use Green-flame/booming blade as routine cantrips

Slit518

Adventurer
Hey folks,

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 11
Ch 14

Thanks in advance.
A Mountain Dwarf Favored Soul Sorcerer which uses Medium Armor and Wields a large Weapon.

Their Str will become 20 and their Con will become 15. Then, for more HP power they can choose Tough for their level 4 Feat!

Being a Favored Soul Sorcerer will give them access to BOTH Sorcerer and Cleric spells.

Their hit-points (assuming you use the suggested method) at level 6 will be 6 + 20 + 12 + 12, for 50 hit-points!

And they will have a 15 AC if they wear good Medium Armor.

They could enhance their Attack and their Defense with spells from both the Sorcerer's and Cleric's list!

Then, when they hit level 8 they can add 1 ASI in Con giving them an additional 8 HP and +1 HP a level, and the other ASI in either Intelligence or Wisdom, I would recommend Wisdom for the bonus to that save.

jgsugden

Legend
If you are not interested in fighter or paladin, you're likely not too interested in melee. Accordingly, I'd go with a wizard. If you want some melee, a Bladesinger wizard would be fun. They are generally required to be elves.

Last edited:

Remove ads