D&D 5E Character build suggestions

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Bladesinger or a Thrown Weapon Barbarian or Ranger

Those all lean into strength for their attacking ability. I love my Dagger Ranger, and with an 18 strength, who cares about the smaller wis or con? Go against type and embrace the fact that you are a very, very smart Barbarian lord. If ya want, maybe dabble in a level or two of Wizard, mostly focused on ritual spells.

Stattick

Explorer
Hobgoblin abjuration wizard.
Start with light armor, a few weapons, the frankly great Saving Face feature, darkvision.

4th, moderately armored (point toward dex).
8th: +1 Dex /+1 Con - AC of a Dex Fighter, w/ med armor & shield. Plus defensive spells. Plus abjuration ward, which takes the hit before False life. And you have a +3 Con mod
12th: +2 Int, maxed out.
16th: Resilient (con)
19th: Skill expert (expertise in Arcana or something, gain Stealth or some other skill you always wanted, and bump Con up to 18)

tl;dr Full progression wizard without the squishiness.

auburn2

Adventurer
Hey folks,

I have a player that rolled his stats in order and would like to come up with some builds around the following stats outside of a fighter or a paladin.

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 11
Ch 14

The character will be starting at level 6.

Thanks in advance.
Mountain Dwarven warmage

Rogue/Arcane trickster. This character would use strength for attacks and damages, maybe get grappler feat, fey touched/shadow touched is another feat option to boost inteligence to 18 and get more spells. The great thing about the Rogue, is the class itself is not really reliant on dexterity with the right build. I think I like an Orc for this build if you are playing the Orc race. Swashbuckler is viable too although the intelligence would not be as useful. High Elf is another good option.

High Elf Bladesinger wielding longsword - start with dexterity to 14 and intelligence 18, take ASI to make 20 intelligence at level 4. If you start at 6th level, that means you start with the bladesinger extra attack, which is awesome and long sword is a better weapon than a traditional dex-based bladesinger uses. If you are using Tasha's you could also trade two of your other weapons for Greatsword proficiency and a better thrown weapon (javelin?) to use when not in bladesong.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Tough to think of an official-only build that can fully leverage both Str and Int, although I can think of ton of 3rd-party options that support it well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Another one:

V.Human Arcane Trickster (+1 Str, +1 Int)
Prof: Arcana/Elvish language
Feat: Medium Armored (+1 Str)

Lvl 4 Feat: Feytouched (+1 Int)
Lvl 8 Feat: Ritual caster
Lvl 10 Feat: +2 Dex
lvl 12 Feat: Resilient Con (+1 Con)
lvl 16: +2 Wis
lvl 19: +2 Wis

Fights with a shortsword + shield, uses blade-cantrips.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Ranger (probably Monster Hunter) and grappling focussed feats. City Watch or Bounty Hunter background. You prefer to wrestle your foes into submission and bring 'em back alive.

ccooke

Adventurer
That would fit really well a character I rolled up on Friday, actually. It's a concept I've wanted to try for a long while - a Wizard school dropout (who failed at school due to an uncontrollable "gift" for fey magic, not from a lack of study).

So, applying the concept to those stats, you'd get:
  • Custom lineage. +2 to CON, proficiency in Arcana, Feat: Telekinetic (Intelligence). That gives you an invisible mage hand with 30' reach and a bonus action to shove people 5' towards or away from you that the target can choose to fail the save for. That gets CON to 15 and INT to 18.
  • Custom background, getting Investigation, Insight (Studious type), Alchemist's tools (for more "Studied Wizardry" and Weaver's tools (For some personality stuff; likes to wear the best clothes, doesn't have much income).
  • Barbarian, six levels. Wild Magic path from Tasha's, picking up Athletics and Perception.
  • Probably pick up the Ritual Caster feat at 4th level.

Basically, a character who can do well as a party's Int-based skill-monkey (without stepping on the toes of Dex, Wis or Cha PCs), has some useful magic for non-combat use and a load of powerful abilities during combat. Telekinesis is great here, since it's a magic-like ability that still works during rage (and all the rest of the magic is categorically out-of-combat, so unaffected by it)

auburn2

Adventurer
I'd suggest a Githyanki melee Wizard. The character will start with a 20 STR and 18 INT.

Optimal would be to go Quarterstaff and Shield, with PAM as the 4th level feat.

The character does not have shield proficiency unless he takes moderately armored feat and without a shield I don't think the character will have the AC and hps necessary to be in melee often. You can get by without one of those, but you generally can't get by without both. I think if you do this with the mobile feat instead of PAM it is doable.

If you want to go PAM I would suggest a bladesinger .... which will also allow a booming blade (or another cantrip) plus another attack, plus a haste attack if you are in haste. I think I would go custom lineage though take +2int and shadow touched for 20int then PAM for the 4th level feat. My preferred spell loadout would be:

false life (feat)
Invisibility (feat)
mage armor
shield
absorb elements
protection from good and evil
shadow blade
blur
darkvision
haste
fly
counterspell
hypnotic pattern

Last edited:

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
The character does not have shield proficiency unless he takes moderately armored feat and without a shield I don't think the character will have the AC and hps necessary to be in melee often.
Good catch. I had mistakenly thought that the Githyanki racial medium armor proficiency included shield proficiency.

Remove ads