Character Creation Help

I was looking over a character for a friend of mine (participating in a campaign that I am not currently participating within) and something just keeps nagging me about her that I can't quite put my finger on. I think she's missing something but just don't know what. I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an alternative or two to the character described below.

The idea behind her: an elven mobility fighter wielding two-longswords and the role of a scout. Apparently the longsword must be kept though there is some leniency in this (see below).

Also, there are a few adjustments to the normal rules since it is a small group and additional leadway is given. Some adjustments to the normal rules:

-The character has been cleared to take the Dervish class and use longswords (with scimitar stats) for the Dervish ability to wield scimitars as light weapons.

-The character has been given clearance to use the Arcana Unearthed Alternative Fighter (I think it is from here...not sure off-hand but I know it is from someplace) where they can choose six skills as class skills while only gaining Light Armor, Medium Armor, and Shield Proficiency.

-The character is also given two bonus skills that can be permanent class skills throughout the character's life.

I won't give a complete listing of everything. He's come up with what he'd like her stats to be, based off her background apparently, so I'm not going to fiddle with that, despite my difference of opinions on it. Also, the class level is 9. Things are permissible on DM basis.

Class: Fighter 6/Dervish 3
Race: Elf

Str: 13
Dex: 22
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 15

*I tell him to increase that Constitution and he says he'd like to, but it just doesn't fit well. So, I say okay...

Skills:
The perminent class skills I think should be Tumble (for the mobility aspect) and probably Spot (for the scout aspect).

For the fighter skills, since she has the free selected skills, I'd take Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Listen, Perform (Dance), Balance, Jump.

When Dervish rolls around, pretty much stick tot he Tumble and Spot along with Climb, Jump, Balance, and Dance.

Maxing out Tumble gets her a +20 (able to take a 30 even in combat thanks to the Dervish abilities) and Spot would be at +16. Hide and MS would be at about +15. The other notables would be Balance and Jump at about +13.

Feats:

A lot of different options here. If anything, this is where I think I might be lacking the most punch (of course a mobile fighter with two weapons isn't quite the best build, but I try to work with what I have).

Start:
Light Armor, Medium Armor, All Weapons, Shield

1st Level - Two Weapon Fighting
1st Fighter - Dodge
2nd Fighter - Mobility
3rd Level - Weapon Spec.
4th Fighter - Combat Exp.
6th Level - Blind-Fighting
6th Fighter - Weapon Finesse
9th Level - Weapon Focus
3rd Dervish - Spring Attack

Firstly, I know this might not be the best progressive build and might not even be a proper progression in terms of the rules. Nonetheless, I have it arranged as such so I and everyone else can see where I'm getting the number of Feats and what Feats I have. It is just an organizational thing to make sure I"m not forgetting any or added extra ones in there.

There are a couple of things here which I realize are definately arguable. The first one is Blind-Fighting. Perhaps it is just me, but I think it is a highly invaluable to any melee based fighter for when those pesky mages drop Darkness and concealment effects (Blur, etc.) come into play, not to mention Invisible enemies. Plus, it can be invaluable if you can control the placement/timing of a Darkness.

One thing I was considering adding was Run. For a mobility based melee fighter, being able to keep your Dexterity bonus (especially where you Dexterity bonus will be almost as high as your armor bonus) is important. Any ideas on that one?

Just a few quick rundown stats I have:

BAB: +9/+4
Full Attack (longswords): +14/+9/+14

Saves:
Fort: +7
Refl: +12
Will: +8

AC = (10 Armor + 6 Dex + 1 Dervish AC Bonus + 1 Dodge + any armor)

Speed: 35'

Anyway, thats what I have and I'm not happy with it. Any one have any suggestions for Feats, Classes, etc.? The character is based more on character-style rather then trying to squeeze every last drop of power out (hence, a low Constitution and a mixed role as fighter/scout). Nonetheless, as much power as possible is definately welcome.

Concerning magical items, I am uncertain at the moment. Suggestions would be welcome, but not sure how easily they could be gotten since I'm not involved in the campaign.

Thank you in advance.

PS - If this is the wrong area, my apologies.

Fate Lawson

First Post
Don't underestimate the potential of the Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave tree for a "fast multi-attacker". In our house campaign the "Dervish" character has become the ultimate "mook killer".

Remove ads