• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Names - How Do You Come Up With Yours?

Peni Griffin

First Post
First, check naming conventions in the source culture. For instance, when we made characters for a Roman-like campaign the DM said that the upper-class Tarantians were using a classical Roman naming convention: Given name, family name, identifying nickname. My character was a priestess from a wine-producing region. Sofia - wisdom. Napea - the valley of the vineyards. Theophilia - God+love. Sofia of the valley of the vineyards family, the one that's so pious.

DMs love it if they've established a naming convention and the player actually uses it.

If the DM doesn't have a naming convention, I frequently name my (female) characters after precious stones or flowers, because that's universal. I also have two baby name books, from which it's easy to pull names with appropriate meanings, obscure names, and variants; lots of reference books, such as foreign language dictionaries, field guides, and lists of historical figures from which to pull sounds with appropriate meanings; and a willingness to experiment with sound. Stocking up on reference books on random subjects is well worth a gamer's while, btw, and is dead cheap if you haunt university book sales.

I have to do this when writing stories, too. Since most of my books are set in modern America, it's not hard to find suitable names for the ages and ethnicities required, although I sometimes call up a friend who makes name-based jewelry to order and get input on the popular names for a particular gender, age, and culture. When I sent my heroine back in time 11,000 years, though, I was kind of stuck. Although I established a naming convention that named men after predators and women after plants, innocuous nongame animals, and geographical features, there's no way of guessing what the language of Clovis people in Texas sounded like! I back-engineered some words from modern American languages (though I'd have done a better job of this if I understood philology better) and used onomotopiea for others. Oddly, this resulted in what's probably the least pronouncable name I've ever produced: Shusskt, for plum, based on the sound a perfectly ripe plum makes when you bite into it and the flesh suddenly collapses into your mouth in a liquid orgasm of flavor.

When writing other-world fantasy, I try out different sound combinations till I get something that sounds plausible and suits the character. It's important to get a realistic amount of variety and to have conventions within a particular culture to convey consistency. Caitlie, Sherna, Genella, Tikina-Londi, Elmara, Mairu, Mestanor, Athlese, Alendil, Dilre - more complex than that and they run together.

I've known people who had a horrible time with names, including one who wrote standard name patterns (Anna = Vowel consonant consonant vowel, for instance) and then rolled dice to generate letters, so he got characters named Exxe or Kaled or Qott. Another picked his names in order from the god lists in the paperback Necronomicon. Others go in for the hidden meaning or near-pun.

Angerland

First Post
My single most used book for names is the Silmarilon (sp) by Tolkein. Not only does it have a huge list of actual names, but the elven language guide in the back can help give meaning to the names. As well as explain the names of people and places that pop up in the books.

Current Character is a Druid Shifter- Araruin Gilfalas
Prev Char. Dwarven Wizard - Glandrin Surtur Brengulsson
Human Cleric - Denethor Thalion
Human Paladin - Theodric Gisaroux
Human Fighter - Marten Brasfort

pawsplay

Hero
I usually take Old English or Frankish names and flip around a letter or two. Sometimes I use other names I just happen to like, historical, mythological, whatever. For NPCs, I sometimes pick fairly random things. Not so long ago, my PCs faced a lich named Valencia, named after a bag of oranges in our dining room. Mareg, a fiend, I tweaked from Balrog.

Sometimes I use fake Greek or fake Latin, Harry Potter style.... I named a tentacled beastie Xenobrach, for instance ("strange arm"). There was a priest named Ek Nebu, whose name was taken from Nebuchadnezer.

In some cases, I just use "fantasy names," like Gorick, Azirian, and such.

sniffles

First Post
Angerland said:
My single most used book for names is the Silmarilon (sp) by Tolkein. Not only does it have a huge list of actual names, but the elven language guide in the back can help give meaning to the names. As well as explain the names of people and places that pop up in the books.

Current Character is a Druid Shifter- Araruin Gilfalas
Prev Char. Dwarven Wizard - Glandrin Surtur Brengulsson
Human Cleric - Denethor Thalion
Human Paladin - Theodric Gisaroux
Human Fighter - Marten Brasfort
I use Tolkien quite a bit, too, especially if I'm playing an elf. I'm currently running an elf in three different campaigns and all of them have Sindarin names. I generally refer to either the Silmarillion or my copy of David Salo's A Gateway to Sindarin for assistance.

I also like to use setting materials to help me choose a name. If I'm playing in a published setting then I look for sample names from that setting. When I read the sample names for elves in the Eberron materials I used that as my inspiration for the name of my Valenar elf fighter.

The Races books also have some nice examples of names. I recently retired the Valenar elf in favor of a dwarf, so I used the dwarf name generator in Races of Stone because I didn't find the sample Eberron dwarven names very inspirational.

Arkham

First Post
I've got 2 different baby-name books, and Gary Gygax's Extraordinary book of Names.

I generally decide what flavor culture the charcter is from, then pick something from that list that sounds appropriate.

Alternately, I think of a descriptor for the character, then hit http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/ for a word.

Chimera

First Post
Roll d30. First result is total number of letter rolls. Thereafter, use as follows;

Results 1-26 = Letters A - Z.

27 = Duplicate last letter.
28 = Culturally useful punctuation mark.
29-30 = End of word.

:lol:

Ealli

First Post
If I need lots of names then I go to name lists, but if I need only a couple special names, I steal and then rearrange. Probably the oddest method I use is to name characters after rivers. It's all Thames's fault, that makes for such a normal sounding name.

kolikeos

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Changing around letters from other names/words?
That's how I usually do it, or I take a name/word and change it to sound like a name. For example, the first word that jumped into my mind right now was 'glasses' so I'll call the next new NPC my players meet: Gallinsus. If it's an elf then i'll stick a 'th' and 'r' in there for: Grallinthus. If we're dealing with a badass evil dude, I'll start with a cossword. One memerable bad dude was called 'Benoza Minnic' (The base words are from hebrew though)

I've got three name generator programs. I've got two name generator systems that are "analog" and table based. I've got a book full of nothing but names, divided by culture and ethno-linguistic origin. I've got baby name books. I've browsed through phonebooks. I've looked through online name lists. I've used english==>foreign language dictionaries to look up words that might sound like good names. On occasion, I've just made stuff up.

I'm surprised that this is only now an issue now that you're playing instead of DMing. As a player, I only need to come up with one name; as a DM, I need to come with dozens of new ones every few weeks, it seems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads