D&D 5E Character play vs Player play

So, his character said a business existed that didn't actually exist and which the player had no expectation under the game rules would exist. His player didn't say that a fictional business, that hadn't previously been part of the game world, was real and his character was an employee or owner, nor was the GM forced by the player nor obligated through some rule of player authorial control to add the idea of said business to his setting. Just because some GM, even one of the first GMs, did something that seemed similar to a storytelling game element doesn't mean it was part of the rules at that point in RPG development.
the entire bluff does not work in a DM only world... that bluff only works in a world where the DM is ok with players coming up with silly plans. It is also the founder of this game and rpgs in general... so I belive that there is no way to separate there games from tradition, because they started the traditions.

Story telling games grew out of RPGs... They took 1 part of RPGs and made it the most important part of there games (to different extents.) However the basic part of story telling games where in traditional RPGs from the beginning, or else what did they grow out of? Now both RPGs and Story telling games (and two types of larping) all grew from the base RPG/D&D and they grew wide and far and now make up a huge spectrum each let alone toghater... but they all started as BD&D

Naw, chocolate cake isn't a lime popsicle because chocolate cake has sugar and lime popsicles have sugar. No one has said that two types of games cannot share any of the same or similar elements. The crux of this discussion is that player authorial control over setting was not an integral part of (trad?) RPGs but rather players affected the setting through their characters.

the problem is in this example suger IS player authorial control... Suger is in a lot of things, including cake (Trad rpg)

I should point out that neither LARPing nor wargaming require player authorial control over setting to be honored by a GM.
yes, wargameing was the start, but when Dave and Gary made a smaller game about taking on the role of one character instead of units, they DID create a game with a variable amount of player authorial control... and that game was the first rpg... D&D

Absolutely, but with a strong to very strong implication that such fleshing out wil not cause any major alterations to the game world or retcons/alterations to what has been or is being played out.

Lan-"and, of course, once done it becomes locked in"-efan
exactly, I can't in all fairness ask if my Ninja clan is in the place the DM just said it can't be, or ask if I could of grown up on the lost continant that just reappeared aafter 2,000 years (well I can ask but I can't get mad when the clear no that makes sense is given)

the problem is the example was "Get item from City, but PC can't do it, so a PC Ninja says "Hey can my Ninkja clan be in these mountains and help"

no where is it in anyway canceling the challenge no where is it not making logical sense. no where is it breaking the world...

I think that's why this thread is failing. (And why I've stayed out of the main thrust of the debate, and why I post so little most of the time these days... I made my Wisdom check and I know to stay out.)

What I mean by that is that it seems like people are talking passed one another, and that some posts are starting to turn rather insulting. It's already been pretty tribal, but now it's getting close to "[insult other team]" followed up by ["slap on the back* "I agree"]. That'll kill this thread even more. Just a heads up.

OK, so help me. How do I explain that I believe that traditional role playing and D&D as created by Dave and Gary and published by TSR then later WotC is a game with Variable amounts of PC Authorship and that it is not wrong deviant or anti tradition to ratchet that variable up or down?

So, his character said a business existed that didn't actually exist and which the player had no expectation under the game rules would exist. His player didn't say that a fictional business, that hadn't previously been part of the game world, was real and his character was an employee or owner, nor was the GM forced by the player nor obligated through some rule of player authorial control to add the idea of said business to his setting.

The GM accepted that "The Balrog Times" was a plausible business within the game world. Because the expectation was that if the player came up with a sufficiently entertaining idea that they would do so.

The idea that the world is hardcoded rather than something that exists at the table between the group? That came later. All of you making things up you consider fun.

Just because some GM, even one of the first GMs, did something that seemed similar to a storytelling game element doesn't mean it was part of the rules at that point in RPG development.

What are rules? It was certainly part of the unwritten rules. Or do you think that only that which is in the text counts (in which case oD&D needs Chainmail for starters).

Naw, chocolate cake isn't a lime popsicle because chocolate cake has sugar and lime popsicles have sugar.

Indeed. But story elements are sugar. A story is "an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment." (first definition on google).

Which of that doesn't hold? There's no account, or you don't roleplay for entertainment?

No one has said that two types of games cannot share any of the same or similar elements. The crux of this discussion is that player authorial control over setting was not an integral part of (trad?) RPGs but rather players affected the setting through their characters.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with story.

I'd say you're talking about what I'd call "Entitled GM Games" - which are a subset of Trad RPGs. In an Entitled GM Game the GM has the sole right and responsibility to determine the setting and anything the players are permitted to know about the setting must come through and be approved by the GM. The characters have no knowledge of the world they live in that allows them to act with confidence unless such has first been approved by the GM. They have no bounds of expertise that live anywhere except on their character sheet. They do not live in their worlds so much as they have been inserted there as near-blank slates, having fallen through from another world; their knowledge of the world they live in is starkly limited.

I won't get sidetracked into what constitutes LARPing, and regardless of the validity of your point regarding LARPing being a progenitor of RPGs, I should point out that neither LARPing nor wargaming require player authorial control over setting to be honored by a GM.

And in Spirit of the Century the GM has explicit veto over Fate Points being spent to make declarations. The same applies in Fate Core. In fact the only RPGs I'm aware of where the GM doesn't have a veto over such things are GMless. The difference is on expectation. Whether the players are expected to contribute and it is expected that the world and setting are shared or whether it's purely owned by the GM. Indeed that's a big part of why games that have GMs have them.

The argument here is whether we have Entitled GMing and that it's the GM's world and the GM's story to which the players are graciously permitted to contribute, or whether the game belongs to the table as a whole - and while the GM has the final authority it is expected that they use this sparingly and the setting comes from the combined contributions of all the people in the game.

It pretty simple to answer the question. Can a DM play without players? Nope. Can a player do anything without a DM? Nope. That's why both have authorial/narrative power. Nothing happens in the world or story unless both are participating.
Both have their roles. A DM is expected to have a prepared adventure in an agreed upon setting. The players are expected to construct a character using the rules they agree on including background information, personality, and the like. Then the group plays working in a cooperative fashion that is a combination story and game.
I know I prefer scripted stories because they seem more fun to me. I work in elements my characters build into their backgrounds. I definitely like to empower my players to engage in impactful roleplaying that will affect the course of the campaign. I've never found an edition of D&D that did not allow me to do what I enjoy doing. Not much gets done in D&D unless both the players and DM are engaged in the game, both creating a compelling cooperative narrative that entertains and engages.

On a tangent, one of the reasons I like modern Storygames is that the good ones (and there are bad ones just as there are bad anything) don't require a preprepared story. The tight thematic focus and story structure embedded within the rules ensures that there will almost always be a satisfying story that ends up being told and brought to a conclusion without actually deciding what that story will be.

mcbobbo

Explorer
The argument here is whether we have Entitled GMing and that it's the GM's world and the GM's story to which the players are graciously permitted to contribute, or whether the game belongs to the table as a whole - and while the GM has the final authority it is expected that they use this sparingly and the setting comes from the combined contributions of all the people in the game.

This dichotomy seems a bit lopsided. Wouldn't the proper opposite to 'Entitled GM' be 'Entitled Players' where it's the Players' world and their characters' story to which the GM is graciously permitted to enslave himself?

Why are you comparing the extreme to the middle ground?

This dichotomy seems a bit lopsided. Wouldn't the proper opposite to 'Entitled GM' be 'Entitled Players' where it's the Players' world and their characters' story to which the GM is graciously permitted to enslave himself?

yes...+1,000,000 this is exactly the problem we have on enworld lately...
some how this scale of 1-100 where 1='Entitled GM' and 100= 'Entitled Players' has some how grown to only include # 1-10 and 90-100

my games probably fall between 65-75 most times but in odd worlds that I have real unque ideas for fall more in the 45-55 range... and I will never play with another DM that falls in the 1-20 zone if I can help it, and players in the 95-100 zone do get on my nerves from time to time...

but some how compromise has become a 4 letter word... (wow that would need a lot of ')

Because the GM is the Game Master. The GM always has more power than each individual player or they are not the GM. The extreme I'm not using in my comparison might exist at a few tables - but I know of no actual systems advocating it. And in order for it to exist the GM would not be able to create NPCs.

Edit: And yes, most games fall in the middle ground. Which people don't talk about so much because it doesn't generate conflict.

mcbobbo

Explorer
I don't know of any actual games, but have seen actual forum posts complaining about exactly your example - the GM creating his own NPCs instead of using only the ones in the book.

I don't know of any actual games, but have seen actual forum posts complaining about exactly your example - the GM creating his own NPCs instead of using only the ones in the book.

not quite to that extreme but I did have a FR game where people thought my version of NPC fromt he book where sooo wrong it caused a fight ending the game

That's why I talked about games. I'm not aware of any position so absurd that there's no one who will support it. There are a few jackass players out there, and I don't deny that. But almost every RPG has a Rule 0. The entire structural apparatus of RPGs is weighted in favour of the GM. And there's no such thing as a Players Rule 0 other than voting with your feet in most games.

Actually, on thinking about it, Torchbearer might be an exception. Luke Crane tends to be far too brutal as a GM so he put in rules for himself to pitch the difficulty - and tells the GM that they must follow those rules. (That said, entitled players are in for a very nasty shock if they try Torchbearer). Another one might be Harnmaster where there's a ludicrous amount of worldbuilding.

Remove ads