Character progression planning, how do you do it?

How do you handle character progression planning?

• Plan out the whole thing baby! By the first session I know what level 20 will look like

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Plan out the next few levels at least ahead of time.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I have a general idea, but that's subject to change. Usually don't plan more than 1 level ahead

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No planning, I make my choices at level up based on what makes sense for what's going on in game

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No planning, I make my choices based on how I feel at the moment I hear "DING!"

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • I plan ahead, but it all goes to crap anyway so who really knows?

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Planning? I START OUT at level 20, man. I've got a whole folder of just level 20 builds I made!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Sacrosanct

Legend
Pretty self explanatory question. When you make a character, do you plan out each level in advance, and play with a definite goal in mind? Do you not plan anything and just go with the flow and when level up arrives, you advance based on how you're feeling in the moment, or based on what's going on in the game? Or somewhere in between?

I fall somewhere between 3 and 4. I do very light planning; with an idea. But almost always I end up making my decision based on what's happening in the game. Whether to multiclass, what subclass to choose, what feats to select, etc. Almost always based on what's been happening in the game.

Well, I've only ever played one campaign in D&D 3.x or later where levelling up happened, and I was shocked after a couple of levels by the degree of pre-planning that the system seemed to expect. I've played lots of OD&D and AD&D1e where it just isn't necessary, and I continue to prefer them for D&D style fantasy.

I've played a fair bit of Hero System, and rather more GURPS, where advancement is much more incremental, often with a couple of character points awarded after every session. In that kind of system, I do make plans, but they tend to be re-shaped by events in the campaign, because the opposition's capabilities also change and sometimes it's necessary to react to that.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I wish this was a multi-option poll.

I'm somewhere between 2-3.

I almost always have an idea where I want the character to be mechanically in the next few levels, but I also allow the story to shift and drive potential changes.

Right now in my TBT game, I have a Fighter (EK) that I'd planned to grab a level or two of rogue in, but we're now in the Fey Wilds and there are compelling IC reasons for my PC to make a Pact with an Archfey, so might be going that route instead.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes I have a vague idea of where I want a character to go, in terms of advancement, sometimes I don't. In all cases, I allow any prior idea to be influenced by in-game events, so even the vague idea doesn't really hold true.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For characters I play, I have a concept, build the character, and then see where it goes. Occasionally I'll plan out a level or two ahead, either fully or partially. For instance, I usually have a list of "take these spells soon" for pure casters. I also find out that I ignore my thoughts, either because the character is leaning another way, or the party dynamic works better with something else (or both). Party synergy is great, and as oft discovered as planned.

Now, I do build out theoretical builds for fun. (Amusingly I have never actually run one in 5e.) But even there I usually stop somewhere in Tier 3, since it's "past the point I'll need it". Never had a game go from Tier 1 to Tier 4. All of the people asking about their level 20 build I always give the advice of making a playable build first, not a build that comes together late - possibly later than the end fo the campaign.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Depends on game. Sometimes I plan out all the intended levelling, sometimes only like 1 level ahead but with a general idea, sometimes I do it when I level depending on what I feel like.

I usually jot down some notes with vague ideas for future growth, but this never survives contact with the campaign. Partly, the exigencies of the unfolding plot will change my priorities. But also, I never really have a good feel for a character until I actually inhabit them at the table. I often discover aspects of them that surprise me.

For example, the cleric that I'm currently playing in a friend's DFRPG campaign was intended to be entirely focused on the magical side of things: new spells, new spiritual advantages, new mystical abilities, etc. In the first session, however, I discovered that I really loved whaling on enemies with my flaming morning star. I spent most of my earned points from the first few sessions on shoring up my melee capabilities. More recently I've begun to return to some of my initial notes, revising my goals in light of my discoveries about his more martial personality. This is part of what I love about gaming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases