• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Sheet App for Android 3.0 Honeycomb - Input Wanted

moticon

First Post
my son-in-law and I are also interested in creating an active character sheet for the tablet droid devices.

Once you have a basic working character sheet the big thing for us is to identify and code the most common buff spells and provide a pop-up menu to allow the player to select an affect and apply it.

For example you might have a fighter and the wizard casts "enlarge person" and "haste", while the cleric casts "Bless". It would be nice to select these three as active and then have the character sheet recalculate all affects, taking into account stacking vs. non-stacking.

We are also looking at honeycomb as the starting level, even though most of the cheaper tablets out there are working with 2.2 or 2.3 right now. By the time we get any coding out, 3.0 should have taken over.

JDragon

Explorer
Well my meeting with my friend this week fell trhough, so no progress to report as of yet, but I do appreciate the feed back and ideas everyone is sharing.

[MENTION=86468]Transbot9[/MENTION] - thanks for the ideas. I can say my first goal is a character sheet / tracker. Once that is done adding the needed random # generators to allow it to be used to generate a character should not be hard, but that is honestly a long ways down the road.

[MENTION=20701]moticon[/MENTION] - the ability to easily apply buffs id already on my list and a must for this type of application to really be a single reference point / tool for players. Having to keep track of notes in a separate note pad app or on a actual sheet of paper totally defeats the purpose of this project. Best of luck on your project and please keep us updated.

Thanks

JD

falcarrion

First Post
Unlike Falcarrion, I don't want flash. At least, not too much flash.

When I eventually get a honeycomb (or sequil) device, I want something nicer than an excel spreadsheet but nothing that will overload the meager resources of these portable devices. Heck, I find PDF reading to be laggy on my smartphone, and it's fairly new.

Actually, make that two Apps:

1. A basic, decent looking, savable character sheet that can be easily edited on the fly for houseruled items. It does not need a PSRD database attached.

2. A good character generator App al la Pathguy's stuff, with different options for generating stats (several major dice generations, point buy, elite array, manual entry)

To be honest, I doubt I would pay for #1, but I would pay for #2 if #1 existed for free. Think of the sheet as the free demo with the generator being the upsale.

the reason I mentioned some flash is that without it a pdf of your character works just as good. If it looks good then people will want to get it. Otherwise people will say " My pdf looks just as good who needs it". I've seen the same thing happen with Ipad character apps.

falcarrion

First Post
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

My friend and I have not had much time to work this yet, but are getting together tomorrow night so I hope to make some progress soon.

As I mentioned we are writing it for 3.0 (Honeycomb) but I know my friend had mentioned wanting to make it work for older versions as well.

[MENTION=4023]falcarrion[/MENTION] - I agree that tablets can do a lot more, than what my initial images are showing. I have several challenges that I'm working against with this project.

#1 my programmer is not a gamer so their is some disconnect there.

#2 I'm not sure how much he can do yet, and I don't want to overwhelm him.
I would rather get a simple looking app that works to start with and then go back and make improvements in the function and GUI later.

On the up side...
He has already mentioned the idea of setting it up for skins to change the look of to meet personal preference.

My initial images were more to help inspire me and give me some framework to work with.

Please keep the feedback / ideas coming and I will try to get an update up once we make some progress.

JD

JD,
First I just want to let you know that I'm not out to slam your project. As a matter of fact I want to see you succeed in your project. As I don't know your limitations or your programmers, I'm only basing my feedback on what I have seen so far and my experiance on character apps for the Ipad.

JDragon

Explorer
[MENTION=4023]falcarrion[/MENTION] - no worries, i was not taking it as a slam at all. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

Regarding your comment abut PDF's, what i'm going for is an interactive CS that will auto update when you make changes, apply buffs, adjust hit point or ability damage.

If I'll accomplish this I'm not sure yet but thats my plan.

JD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads