• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Characters are not their statistics and abilities

OB1

Jedi Master
I mean, I'm not saying that the game math actually does make that assumption; I'm just saying that, if it does, then it's acting unreasonably by doing so.

The game math does make the assumption, and it does so with the reasonable assumption that people will choose to increase those stats, and want to feel more powerful by doing so. If the game math changed so that by raising the prime stat all you do is stay even with the math, then you haven't gained anything by choosing it. On the flip side, you are not penalized for not choosing to raise the prime stat and becoming good at something else.

5e has given players real choice back in character advancement. That is not unreasonable.

I think we've kinda come to a cruising altitude on where things stand. OP left after getting some blowback. Saelorn is putting up the good fight, but the consensus seems to hover somewhere between "there's so much variety in playstyle that we can't generalize" and "it's not my job to live up to your Optimization expectations." Thankfully the gulf between optimized and unoptimized is smaller in this edition than others, so it is likely to be less of an issue.

Since I doubt there will be much change in that avenue, what do people think about the character that deliberately makes a truly "useless" character? Good, bad, indifferent? Just make sure the rest of the group is on the same page?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
What would be the optimum next post for this thread? I need some help deciding. I don't want to waste people's time by posting something that isn't fun; people might think I wasn't posting hard enough.

My next post will be my 1000th, you see, so it's important to get it right.
Some kind of epic rant would be best.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think we've kinda come to a cruising altitude on where things stand. OP left after getting some blowback. Saelorn is putting up the good fight, but the consensus seems to hover somewhere between "there's so much variety in playstyle that we can't generalize" and "it's not my job to live up to your Optimization expectations." Thankfully the gulf between optimized and unoptimized is smaller in this edition than others, so it is likely to be less of an issue.

Since I doubt there will be much change in that avenue, what do people think about the character that deliberately makes a truly "useless" character? Good, bad, indifferent? Just make sure the rest of the group is on the same page?

While I'm not sure who would ever create or want to play a useless character...I'd expect that it's more a matter of being useful in a non-traditional or unexpected way....I think it's still just a matter of making sure the table is cool with it. If you do that, then usually there are no issues.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads