Charge and Sneak Attack Questions!

JLXC

First Post
All right. First... Charge is a Standard action? This means that you can take a move Eq. action, such as Moving, THEN Charge? I guess I never noticed and thought charge was a full round action.

Second, sneak attack cannot effect anyone with any concealment at all? This means that in a light fog, or a human on a rooftop late at night, cannot Sneak Attack because they would have 10 percent Concealment bonus? Makes being a human Rogue sorta worthless if true.

Caliber

Explorer
There are plenty of ways to get through Concealment, but yes, Concealment equates to No Sneak Attack. If your DM is really harsh and always enforces all the penalties, then yes, it will suck.

Personally, my DM is pretty easy going with things like that. Of course, if the enemy isn't getting Concealment, then neither are you. :eek:

As for Charge, I think that it is technically defined as a "Special Action". If you want to try to move and then charge, all of your movement must be in a straight line unless you have some feat or ability that says otherwise.

dcollins

Explorer
Charge is a "special standard action". It's a standard action in that you get to move during the action, but it is a special restricted move in a straight line. You absolutely do not get a normal move in addition to the charge. (I believe it's Table 8-1 which makes this plain.)

hong

WotC's bitch
By the book, yes any concealment negates sneak attacks. Then again, no DM I know actually enforces concealment miss chances for something as mundane as dim light. We generally assume that the cliched encounter in a dark alley still allows enough light for combatants to fight normally.

Remove ads