• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge attacks and Tripping

TRIP
You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.
Making a Trip Attack: Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.

It's the unarmed touch attack that provokes and AoO, not the Trip attempt per say :)

IceBear

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
It's the unarmed touch attack that provokes and AoO, not the Trip attempt per say :)

Hehe - true. Actually, I have to come out of lurk for this one. Since it's the unarmed touch attack that technically causes the AoO when tripping, does this mean that monks (or someone with Improved Unarmed Strike) gets to trip without an AoO?

Wow, QUADRUPLE post. Nice going! :p

Improved Trip doesn't prevent AoO's. It prevents the victim from trying to trip you back if you fail your trip attempt.

I do believe that if your unarmed attack wouldn't normally provoke an AoO, then your touch attack to start a trip wouldn't either.

AR

IceBear

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
Wow, QUADRUPLE post. Nice going! :p

Improved Trip doesn't prevent AoO's. It prevents the victim from trying to trip you back if you fail your trip attempt.

I do believe that if your unarmed attack wouldn't normally provoke an AoO, then your touch attack to start a trip wouldn't either.

AR

Forum is acting up :lol:

I think that's a tripping weapon you're thinking of, not improved trip

IMPROVED TRIP [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise.
Benefit: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent.
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.
Normal: Without this feat, you provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed.
Special: At 6th level, a monk may select Improved Trip as a bonus feat, even if she does not have the prerequisites.
A fighter may select Improved Trip as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Altamont Ravenard said:
Improved Trip doesn't prevent AoO's.
What does this sentence mean then?
"You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed."
Altamont Ravenard said:
It prevents the victim from trying to trip you back if you fail your trip attempt.
I do not see anything in the feat that says it does that.

eech. Quadruple post for him, multiple oops for me. :heh:

3.0 said:
Benefit: If the character trips an opponent in melee combat, the character immediately gets a melee attack against that opponent as if the character hadn’t used the character's attack for the trip attempt.

3.5 said:
Benefit: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent.
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.

me said:

Okay, they added a part in 3.5... And I completely brainfarted when I said
me said:
It prevents the victim from trying to trip you back if you fail your trip attempt.
I think I mixed it up with Improved Disarm...

Camarath said:
What does this sentence mean then?

Like I said, in 3.0, there was no mention of AoO's in the feat benefits.

Sorry about all that. Now move along, nothing to see...

AR

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads