• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge attacks and Tripping

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
silentspace said:
I'd say if you were tripped and have fallen face down on the ground, your movement has been hindered and you can't charge.

When you're charging, you are required to stop as soon as you threaten your opponent.

Since he doesn't trip you in this example until you already threaten him, you're no longer moving, and therefore being prone doesn't hinder the movement of the charge.

-Hyp.

silentspace

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
When you're charging, you are required to stop as soon as you threaten your opponent.

Since he doesn't trip you in this example until you already threaten him, you're no longer moving, and therefore being prone doesn't hinder the movement of the charge.

-Hyp.

As I said, I could'n't find a definition of "hinder your movement," although they did define "clear path toward the opponent". It seems to be up to interpretation, no? I would interpret being tripped as being hindered.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
silentspace said:
I would interpret being tripped as being hindered.

But you've done all the moving you needed to do before any hindrance occurred.

The movement of your charge was not hindered.

-Hyp.

silentspace

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
But you've done all the moving you needed to do before any hindrance occurred.

The movement of your charge was not hindered.

-Hyp.

I see where you're coming from. You're interpreting the 'movement' part of "nothing can hinder your movement" to mean the part of the Charge full-round action when you are crossing squares on a battlemat. I'm interpreting it to mean all movement made during the full-round action. I'd say that anything which hinders movement, such as being tripped, taking an AoO, having to make a balance check over slippery terrain, whatever, prevents you from taking the special full-round action 'Charge'

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
silentspace said:
I'd say that anything which hinders movement, such as being tripped, taking an AoO, having to make a balance check over slippery terrain, whatever, prevents you from taking the special full-round action 'Charge'

Taking an AoO!?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
silentspace said:
Like in the examples in this thread?

I'm still not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that if for some reason, during his charge, the Charger becomes eligible to take an AoO on an opponent, this counts as hindering his movement?

Or ar you saying that if he is hit by someone else making an AoO against him, this counts as hindering his movement?

It looks quite clear that "hindered movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles)" refers to the "Terrain and Obstacles" section on PHB p148 - conditions that cause each square to count as 2 spaces.

Which no AoO does.

-Hyp.

the Jester

Legend
The way to do this is to take your readied attack and then a 5' step back out of reach. This does mean, however, that your enemy can get up without allowing you an aoo cuz he's out of reach too.

Jhulae

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
It's the unarmed touch attack that provokes and AoO, not the Trip attempt per say :)

Actually, the charger getting an AoO against the trip only comes into play when the chargee doesn't have a trip weapon, if I'm not mistaken, as the AoO only happens with an unarmed trip attack, according to the rules. (I can't access the SRD from work. Stupid IT department.)

Of course, most trip weapons (like the spiked chain) have range, so it's kind of a moot point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads