• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge attacks and Tripping

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jhulae said:
Of course, most trip weapons (like the spiked chain) have range, so it's kind of a moot point.

"Most" is a little misleading :)

Reach weapons: Spiked Chain, Guisarme, Whip.
Ranged weapons: Bolas.
Non-reach weapons: Flail, Heavy Flail, Dire Flail, Halberd, Hooked Hammer, Kama, Scythe, Sickle.

-Hyp.

Sammael

Adventurer
I always hated how scythe and sickle can be used for tripping. If someone tried to trip an opponent with a scythe, he'd accomplish something much better: chopping the opponent's feet off.

silentspace

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I'm still not sure what you mean.

It looks quite clear that "hindered movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles)" refers to the "Terrain and Obstacles" section on PHB p148 - conditions that cause each square to count as 2 spaces.

-Hyp.

You could be right. But that doesn't make sense logically to me. Wouldn't being tripped be at least as hindering as walking over rubble?

Edit: It's not really that clear. 'Such as' is 'e.g.', not 'i.e.'

"You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles)."

Last edited:

Iku Rex

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
If Person A doesn't want to get hit by Person B, he should ready a move out of the way... :\
And that's what he'll do after the trip attack (unless he's moved earlier in the round and doesn't get a 5 ft step.) It's easy to avoid a charging attacker if you're ready for him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads