• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charles Ryan on Adventures

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Charles Ryan said:
As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years.

I have enough adventures, thanks to AEG, Goodman, Kenzer, and Necromancer, to last a lifetime, so I really don't get this statement.

I'm thrilled WotC is doing adventures because I love them. However, to simply dismiss the work of NG and Goodman as part of a "largely empty" market, well, I'm not buying it.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
MerricB said:
... WotC published a spate of them early on (the adventure path, Return to the Temple) to sort of get the ball rolling, but after that we left the category to the third-party publishers.

Unfortunately, over the past few years most of the d20 publishers decided that it was better for their business to compete directly with us, and abandoned adventures in favor of sourcebooks of the sort we already make (and make better than anyone else). As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years. (And it's probably no coincidence that many d20 publishers seem to be struggling these days.)

Actually, it's a surprise that so many d20 publishers are still around, despite initially publishing bunches of adventures.

(If you want 3rd party publishers to do what you want, give them money to do so.)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
DaveMage said:
I have enough adventures, thanks to AEG, Goodman, Kenzer, and Necromancer, to last a lifetime, so I really don't get this statement.

I'm thrilled WotC is doing adventures because I love them. However, to simply dismiss the work of NG and Goodman as part of a "largely empty" market, well, I'm not buying it.

ACtually, I do see what he means - in comparison to everything else released, adventures make up a relatively small number of releases. Other than the DCC's and Necromancer releases, there are not many adventures showing up at the FLGS's I go to. And in any given month, there may not even be a DCC released. There are quite a few new rules supplements, settings, or new games showing up every month.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Posted by Dragonblade: I don't think Charles Ryan meant to say that WotC is better than all third party publishers. I think he meant that no other 3rd party publisher is going to be able to compete with WotC in terms of making core 3.5 compatible sourcebooks. Which is basically true.

I agree. It could be taken as being contraversial, but I merely think he is saying WotC will always sell more of the core books. Wording may have not been that good though :heh:

Anyhow, that is not why I am here. Arguments bore me ;) I am here to cast a vote for more of the 'adventure path' type adventures. Dito on what Dragonblade says re these products below :)

Dungeon does the small 'one'off' adventure well and I doubt there is much room for new companies to produce modules, but extended, campaign one-offs...I too hope that Shackled City has started something here :)

Crothian

First Post
Akrasia said:
I get the sense that these were not the replies that MerricB was expecting. :p

ACtually, I doubt he's surprised, En Worlds has been nasty anti Wizards at times in many threads he starts. Its really a shame, he does a nice job of giving us intereting info from them.

Michael Tree

First Post
Crothian said:
Actually he is not wrong. There have not been many adventures, Goodman Games and Necormancer are the exceptions really. And many d20 companies have droppped in business. You are really reading things that are not there.
True, but Ryan is suggesting that not making adventures is the reason why many d20 publishers are struggling these days, a rather ludicrous proposition. Yes, the drop in module publishing is correlated with drops in d20 company profits, just like murder rates are correlated with ice cream sales.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Charles Ryan said:
Unfortunately, over the past few years most of the d20 publishers decided that it was better for their business to compete directly with us, and abandoned adventures in favor of sourcebooks of the sort we already make (and make better than anyone else). As a result, the adventure market has been largely empty for the past few years. (And it's probably no coincidence that many d20 publishers seem to be struggling these days.)

*CHOKE!*

Ummm, yeah, so much better... that is why I buy so much more non-WotC source material than official WotC material...

The Auld Grump

Aus_Snow

First Post
Crothian said:
ACtually, I doubt he's surprised, En Worlds has been nasty anti Wizards at times in many threads he starts.
I doubt it too, but I haven't seen any "nasty anti Wizards" (evil rogues?) in this thread, so far.

Crothian said:
Its really a shame
I disagree.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads