Chart of ICv2 Rankings Back To 2004

I created a spreadsheet with all the ICv2 rankings going back to 2004, and then output it into a chart. This is what that looks like. You can click on the image to enlarge it.

chart3.jpg

And this is a (reverse) total of the rankings over the last 15 years for each RPG listed. Higher is better:

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 5.32.41 PM.png

Last edited:
Russ Morrissey

Comments

No real surprises there, although if "V5" is the most recent edition of Vampire: The Masquerade, ouch.

Also, for the amount that GURPS is talked about, I would have thought it would have been in that middle tier with Shadowrun.

teitan

Hero
No real surprises there, although if "V5" is the most recent edition of Vampire: The Masquerade, ouch.

Also, for the amount that GURPS is talked about, I would have thought it would have been in that middle tier with Shadowrun.
it’s a fairly recent release and is just now starting to get some support after a controversial launch.

aco175

Hero
Where on the chart would you consider a game to be a success? Look at Marvel, which I played once or twice back in the 80s and it has a score of 1. Does it need to be around 5 like L5R to make it worth upgrading?

macd21

Explorer
Yeah, only getting on the chart once (or 5 times) doesn’t mean much without more context. A game may have been a successful one-and-done. Comparing it to a game that’s had multiple editions and dozens of supplements doesn’t really give you the full picture.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, only getting on the chart once (or 5 times) doesn’t mean much without more context. A game may have been a successful one-and-done. Comparing it to a game that’s had multiple editions and dozens of supplements doesn’t really give you the full picture.
It's just a chart of games which have been in ICv2's top five games for a quarter, going back to 2004.

Sabathius42

Bree-Yark
Unasked for Editors Note: Your chart legend says WH70k instead of WH40k if you want to fix it for the future.

TrippyHippy

Adventurer
I did regard the presence of V5 in the Top 5, for three consecutive quarters, as a big explanation for Modiphius choosing to publish the license, despite White Wolf folding after a difficult year.

For White Wolf, who may have been hoping to recapture the whole WoD market they controlled in 2004, V5 didn’t quite get there. For Modiphius, however, V5 is evidently their biggest hit ever. It was a similar tale with Games Workshop abandoning Dark Heresy and the 40KRP line immediately on release. It wasn’t considered profitable enough for GW, but for Fantasy Flight Games who took over the license, it was a big hit. It just goes to show how different companies have different measures/scales on what is successful or not.

Regarding other titles, it looks like the D&D/Pathfinder dominance (in that order) looks here to stay. Star Wars may decline, I suspect, as Disney takes a rest from making new movies. The biggest surprise for me is that Savage Worlds has never been ranked. There are no 'Powered by the Apocalypse’ games either, although Fate made a breakthrough for a while.

Last edited:

I'm not sure which Powered By the Apocalypse game would be the biggest seller. My guess is that each is pretty small, although influential with game designers and popular with their niche. The fact that most are published by separate tiny publishers helps keep them off the chart, too.

Still, it'd be nice to see, say, Monster of the Week get the attention that ranking high in the sales chart would help bring it.

TrippyHippy

Adventurer
I'm not sure which Powered By the Apocalypse game would be the biggest seller. My guess is that each is pretty small, although influential with game designers and popular with their niche. The fact that most are published by separate tiny publishers helps keep them off the chart, too.

Still, it'd be nice to see, say, Monster of the Week get the attention that ranking high in the sales chart would help bring it.
In the case of Apocalypse World, they only seem to sell through a very small number of trusted vendors - which would account for this. Monster of the Week, I’m sure, has a bigger distribution.

However, what is notable is that PbtA games seem to feature big at Conferences, despite having little retail presence. The charts don’t really account for playing trends, as much as retail distribution.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
However, what is notable is that PbtA games seem to feature big at Conferences, despite having little retail presence. The charts don’t really account for playing trends, as much as retail distribution.
Yes, this. Most PbtA is sold via Kickstarter, and then through Drive Thru - but I have only seen PbtA games in the largest of stores.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, no. It’s a chart of hobby retail channels. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, remember, there are some pretty significant channels that ICv2 rankings just don't cover. Maybe they don't make a huge difference (IE Amazon) and maybe they do! I would think that DriveThruRPG is a pretty significant channel for certain smaller games. OTOH I would doubt that is going to upset the rankings a whole lot. Still, some of the PbtA games, for instance, might be a bit more popular than they are getting credit for.

I know, speaking for myself, if I can go to a place like that and get a PDF of some game that I will likely only run a limited number of times, or which I just want to read through and reference, I sure am not that tempted to go buy a hardcover. Anyway, I doubt it makes a HUGE difference overall.

macd21

Explorer
Well, remember, there are some pretty significant channels that ICv2 rankings just don't cover. Maybe they don't make a huge difference (IE Amazon) and maybe they do! I would think that DriveThruRPG is a pretty significant channel for certain smaller games. OTOH I would doubt that is going to upset the rankings a whole lot. Still, some of the PbtA games, for instance, might be a bit more popular than they are getting credit for.

I know, speaking for myself, if I can go to a place like that and get a PDF of some game that I will likely only run a limited number of times, or which I just want to read through and reference, I sure am not that tempted to go buy a hardcover. Anyway, I doubt it makes a HUGE difference overall.
The main exception I can think of is NWoD material, which didn’t have much of a retail presence but was generally a Drivethru best seller (and later did well in Kickstarters). Had they had standard retail releases, I’d say a lot of them would have grabbed a 3-5 spot in that quarter.

Phenomen

Explorer
KULT and City of Mist have a decent following and active communities. Both are published by Modiphius and have AAA quality.

atanakar

Hero
Question: What territory does ICv2 cover? If it doesn't cover Europe and Asia we are missing big chunks of the market.

KULT and City of Mist have a decent following and active communities. Both are published by Modiphius and have AAA quality.
Are they bigger than GURPS, though?

I think there's probably a lot of AAA quality PBtA games out there, it's just they're spread across so many publishers.

Advertisement1

Latest threads

In Our Store!

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4