• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Check Out D&D's New Gold Dragon Redesign

Gold dragons no longer have wings--just like they used to be!

dnd_gold_dragon_2024.jpg.webp

In the new 2024 edition of Dungeons & Dragons, WotC is redesigning its iconic dragons. ComicBook.com got a close-up and personal look at the brand new gold dragon, with a gorgeous art piece by Chase Stone. The dragon is, as can be seen, wingless--or at least with greatly reduced wings--in a nod to older editions of D&D--in AD&D 1E, gold dragons were more inspired by Asian dragons, but gained large wings in later editions. ComicBook's Christian Hoffer spoke to WotC's art director Josh Herman, who said "The wing change was really to give it a little bit of something extra, but also hopefully make it clear that they don't need their wings to fly all the time".

You can read the full article and interview here.

occam

Adventurer
Given this comment:
That concept came straight from the 2014 Monster Manual, which notes that gold dragons live in the ruins of cites in fallen kingdoms.
...and the lean-in to elements from D&D history for the 50th anniversary year, I'm wondering if this art piece is meant to depict the ruins of the city of Cauldron, from the Shackled City AP.

Stormonu

Legend
Eh, I don't see the need to redesign them again.

I like the look of the new design better on the ground, though. In the air, the design looks confused and chaotic. I think I actually like the 3E design better, and I definitely don't agree with the supposed reasons behind the redesign. The chromatics definitely already had unique tell-tales to them. It's always been the metallics that get mixed up together, outside Gold and Silver dragons.

1716565016093.png

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads