• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Check Out D&D's New Gold Dragon Redesign

Gold dragons no longer have wings--just like they used to be!

dnd_gold_dragon_2024.jpg.webp

In the new 2024 edition of Dungeons & Dragons, WotC is redesigning its iconic dragons. ComicBook.com got a close-up and personal look at the brand new gold dragon, with a gorgeous art piece by Chase Stone. The dragon is, as can be seen, wingless--or at least with greatly reduced wings--in a nod to older editions of D&D--in AD&D 1E, gold dragons were more inspired by Asian dragons, but gained large wings in later editions. ComicBook's Christian Hoffer spoke to WotC's art director Josh Herman, who said "The wing change was really to give it a little bit of something extra, but also hopefully make it clear that they don't need their wings to fly all the time".

You can read the full article and interview here.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think folks hold back on the dragons because they want to save them for later. I'd suggest using them whenever you think it's appropriate, don't wait cuz your game might not make it to later!
That, and waiting for later increases the chance that the encounter won't live up to expectations because of how powerful 5e characters are by Tier III. Also, I find dragons work best when they are not just a combat encounter. I like to introduce them at low levels when players have no chance of defeating them. Green dragons are one of my favorites for engaging in behind the scenes manipulations.

I don't really use metallics much, except Gold Dragons who play an important somewhat benevolent god-king role in one my kingdoms.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
That, and waiting for later increases the chance that the encounter won't live up to expectations because of how powerful 5e characters are by Tier III. Also, I find dragons work best when they are not just a combat encounter. I like to introduce them at low levels when players have no chance of defeating them. Green dragons are one of my favorites for engaging in behind the scenes manipulations.

I don't really use metallics much, except Gold Dragons who play an important somewhat benevolent god-king role in one my kingdoms.
Yup! Good clarification, dragons don't have to be a combat encounter. They can be a terrifying show of death to avoid or a diplomatic encounter etc etc etc

Moonsoon

Villager
Very interesting design, with a blend of Chinese dragon and underwater flat worm.

Attachments

• 1716980116076.png
    1716980116076.png
    963.9 KB · Views: 9

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads