• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Check Out D&D's New Gold Dragon Redesign

Gold dragons no longer have wings--just like they used to be!

dnd_gold_dragon_2024.jpg.webp

In the new 2024 edition of Dungeons & Dragons, WotC is redesigning its iconic dragons. ComicBook.com got a close-up and personal look at the brand new gold dragon, with a gorgeous art piece by Chase Stone. The dragon is, as can be seen, wingless--or at least with greatly reduced wings--in a nod to older editions of D&D--in AD&D 1E, gold dragons were more inspired by Asian dragons, but gained large wings in later editions. ComicBook's Christian Hoffer spoke to WotC's art director Josh Herman, who said "The wing change was really to give it a little bit of something extra, but also hopefully make it clear that they don't need their wings to fly all the time".

You can read the full article and interview here.

dave2008

Legend
So it's less of a redesign than it is an "un-redesign" taking it back to its 2nd Edition AD&D roots. I always preferred the more Asian look of the gold dragon back in the day.
actually, I agree with the article: it is a blend of the 3e and 1e/2e designs.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Did I miss some period in 5e where dragons all looked alike and didn't maintain the Lockwood styles?

Am I Hallucinating the Dovakin horns and twin tail scythes of the black dragon or the silver dragon's mowhawk?

dave2008

Legend
Did I miss some period in 5e where dragons all looked alike and didn't maintain the Lockwood styles?

Am I Hallucinating the Dovakin horns and twin tail scythes of the black dragon or the silver dragon's mowhawk?
I think people are talking more about how they all had an almost feline/equine body structure (this was not 100% true though). They had the same general morphology with different wings, horns, sails, etc. It was more than that really, but these new designs seem to be pushing the differences further.

MGibster

Legend
For a game called Dungeons & Dragons there have been a dearth of dragons in my campaigns. I think the new gold dragon looks pretty cool.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
For a game called Dungeons & Dragons there have been a dearth of dragons in my campaigns. I think the new gold dragon looks pretty cool.
I think folks hold back on the dragons because they want to save them for later. I'd suggest using them whenever you think it's appropriate, don't wait cuz your game might not make it to later!

dave2008

Legend
I think folks hold back on the dragons because they want to save them for later. I'd suggest using them whenever you think it's appropriate, don't wait cuz your game might not make it to later!
I typically don't use dragons younger than adult and usually only ancient dragons. However, it is not uncommon for one to make an appearance early in a campaign so the PCs understand the dangers the world has waiting for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads