Savage Pathfinder Check Out How Savage Pathfinder Makes A Wizard!

One question that has come up a number of times regarding the upcoming Pathfinder for Savage Worlds (currently on Kickstarter and doing phenomenally well!) conversion is how the game handles classes. The folks over at Pinnacle Entertainment Group have sent me along a preview to share with you -- this is the wizard, Savage-style!

We already knew that the approach involved Edge 'trees', and that each 'class' was made up of its own tree of Edges. But this preview shows you in detail how it all works!

Chris Warner and Mike Barbeau, two of the designers, discussed this in our podcast last week!

enwswp1.png

enwswp2.png

You can back the campaign over on Kickstarter!

Last edited:

Baumi

Adventurer
Yeah, the power-curve is very different in Savage Worlds. You start far more powerfull and Heroic, but you become never as powerful as high-level PF/DnD Characters.

If you are lucky and use good tactics, you can defeat even a Dragon as a Novice Adventurer, but on the other hand you can die from a lucky Mook as a Legendary Hero. So you are never safe but can try great things.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Some mechanical stuff, having played lots of PF and SW:
1. The 5 minute work day for wizards will go as power points come back over the day so they can keep going.
2. The chance of Ezra hitting effectively with a ranged weapon is poor in PF; in SW he can confidently kill a goblin mook per round.
3. Starter SW PCs are very robust so the chance of him been killed by a goblin in SW is very low indeed.
4. PF doesn't have the mass of free cantrips per day so stuff like light, detect magic, read magic etc use a resource in SW.
5. A BBEG is in vast danger of being killed very quickly indeed. A full on bolt is powerful.
Some of those things have been mentioned as being tweaked for SWPF.

For Power Points, it's interesting, even if using just the SW core rules, that if a spell caster runs out, they'll need an hour to recover 5 points. So it's more like a Short Rest in other d20 games.

There will be "cantrips" in SWPF... use an existing power in some minor way for 1 power point. Still uses a resource, but they've said many applications will be up to player creativity.

They've also mentioned, in Morrus' podcast I believe, that higher Challenge Rating monsters might have a few changes and surprises, allowing them to be usable as solo monsters.

dbm

Savage!
I don't see how that could possibly work; starting SR characters are so powerful.
I’ve only read Savage Rifts, not run it yet. Aren’t the MARS packages meant to help address this? I would apply that to the Savage Pathfinder characters if someone wanted to play one in Rifts.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I’ve only read Savage Rifts, not run it yet. Aren’t the MARS packages meant to help address this? I would apply that to the Savage Pathfinder characters if someone wanted to play one in Rifts.

yeah, I guess you're right. I haven't read all the way through but MARS does provide some very good body armour. My main issue with SWR is the same as basic Rifts - the vast gap in combat stats means the players rely on the gm providing adversaries strong enough to challenge things like Glitter Boys and Dragons, and then not targeting anyone else with them ever, because they'll be vapourized.

Banquo

Villager
Loving the preview; however, although I know this is a ‘draft’ to be edited, I hope someone catches that the text for the iconic advancement on the first page doesn’t match the advancement table on the second.

dbm

Savage!
I am confident they will. Even if they don’t, PEGINC tend to release PDFs promptly and allow a pause for ‘crowd source review’ before committing to print.

Donald Schepis

Developer @ PEG
Loving the preview; however, although I know this is a ‘draft’ to be edited, I hope someone catches that the text for the iconic advancement on the first page doesn’t match the advancement table on the second.
The preview is hot off the presses, so it hasn't gone through editing yet. The design isn't even 100% final!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases