WotC Check out Magic: the Gathering's Tiamat

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat. "Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you...

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat.

"Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed painting it!"

E0wNOa5VIAEbZ-n.jpeg

The MtG set comes out on July 23rd, 2021. The collector's sets have a beholder on the front. ICv2 has more information on the various set configurations. Bell of Lost Souls has some card images.

mtc_dnd.jpg

Kaldheim had 36 Legendary cards, and that is a bit of a high water mark for Magic. I would not expect more Legendries than that, and probably less since they have iconic monsters, spells and apparently Dungeons to get through.

Its more then Zendikar Rising, but its not even close to the high water mark, both Dominaria and Kamiwaga had far more then that. Including Commander Decks Strixhaven had 48 Legendaries characters. It still hundreds cards for Monsters, Spells, Items, and lands.

Vael

Legend
Kaldheim had 36 Legendary cards, and that is a bit of a high water mark for Magic. I would not expect more Legendries than that, and probably less since they have iconic monsters, spells and apparently Dungeons to get through.

The number of Legendary creatures in sets has gone up due to more focus on Commander, so I'd actually expect a few DnD characters to get cards. The real question is whether any get to be planeswalkers. Maro has also said that the DnD set is not part of the Magic Multiverse, so we shouldn't be getting any visits by Jace and company.

The number of Legendary creatures in sets has gone up due to more focus on Commander, so I'd actually expect a few DnD characters to get cards. The real question is whether any get to be planeswalkers. Maro has also said that the DnD set is not part of the Magic Multiverse, so we shouldn't be getting any visits by Jace and company.

Any planeswalkers will have to be D&D Characters, and some will have to come from D&D settings outside the Forgotten Realms. That means Mordenkainen, Tasha, Fizban, Acerak, Vee, ect..., are posdiblities along with a few FR characters like Elminister, Nazram World Walker, ect...,

All also add this vibes as a hugely Commander focused set already, its got the equivilant to a Commander 2019/21 set of Commander Decks, so I agree, a reasonably high amount of Legendary Creatures/Planeswalkers in the set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm thinking we might just not see any Planeswalker cards at all, what with a whole new card type in play here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I think we will get plenty of Legendary Creatures, for sure, I just expect it to be in line with recent Sets, and probably focus on characters from recent books.

Remove ads

Remove ads