• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check out my Immovable Rod!

Xarlen

First Post
Richards said:
63. Activating an immovable rod on top of a vampire's coffin when she's not inside could prevent her from reentering it if she's forced to gaseous form as a result of being driven to 0 hit points. If she can't get back into her coffin within 2 hours, she'll be utterly destroyed.

Any vampire worth their salt is going to have holes in their coffin to enter through gaseous form.

Richards

Legend
Well, I suppose that's true, but then I'm sure that not all vampires are cut from the same cloth, especially once you start making vampire spawn from the local goatherds or whatever.

But still, if you don't like #63, how about I offer up a replacement:

63A. An immovable rod can be placed directly below a raised portcullis to prevent it from being lowered. This can help prevent the party from being sealed into an area when they'd rather have a speedy getaway route.

Johnathan

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
James McMurray said:

Nor does Oerth revolve around its sun in my game.

Just an FYI. Oerth is the center of it's solar system. The sun revolves around it (to be more precise, I think the sun is in the 3rd or 4th rotational position out from Oerth)...

Brother Laszlo

First Post
Sigh. I recognized the useful tool that was the Immovable Rod, so I gave it to my party. The first thing they did with it was pawn it for a magic weapon. What became of subtlety? :)

Bagpuss

Legend
The parachute idea wouldn't work as the rod would stop you as fast as if you hit the ground itself. So even assuming you could actually keep hold of it the effect would be to rip your arms from their sockets and leave your body tumbling to the ground.

F5

Explorer
I once ran a one-shot game where I handed the players 15th level characters and had them hold off an enormous army for as long as possible. Among other magical goodies, I had given each character an immovable rod. No one had any immediate ideas on how to use them in a raging melee, so the Bard asked if he could hold onto them. No one had any problems with that.
The commander of the enemy Army reveals himself; a Great Wyrm Black dragon, with some obscene amount of levels in Sorcerer. Basically, an unstoppable juggernaut.
The guy playing the bard has to leave early, so he decides to nobly sacrifice himself so the others can regroup. He uses his Suggestion bard ability to convince the dragon to devour him whole (a suggestion the dragon was all too eager to do, anyway). As he died, ravaged by the dragons' acid gullet, his last action was to activate all 5 Immovable Rods...

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
74. If you attach an immovable rod to an everburning torch, you can "hang" it in the air so you've got a steady light source while keeping both of your hands free. This also allows you to reposition the lighting to best effect. A similar effect of limited duration occurs when you cast a light spell on an immovable rod.

Tst, Tsk, Tsk, Everyone knows you just get the wizard to cast continual flame on a dull grey iuon stone or two, and set them in orbit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads