Check Out The One Ring 2E’s Cover Art!

Cubicle 7 has just revealed the cover art (by Johan Grenier) of the new version of The One Ring roleplaying game.

Cubicle 7 has just revealed the cover art (by Johan Grenier) of the new version of The One Ring roleplaying game.

IMG_4904.JPG

BronzeDragon

Explorer
This is a role playing game of adventurers in Middle-earth not reliving the footsteps of The Fellowship.

Hence, surely, a dwarf woman may join a group of adventurers to explore the surface world and maybe even retrieve a magic artifact to help her people back home. ;-)

Sure, if you have zero respect for the established rules laid down by the creator of the world, you can do all sorts of idiotic things.

Like that new Tolkien movie apparently (I haven't seen it) spending most of its run time establishing LotR as an allegory for World War I and/or whatever pet allegory the writers deem appropriate...despite Tolkien himself repeatedly telling every living soul for 30+ years that LotR wasn't an example of it, and furthermore that allegory was a terrible way to write anything...

BronzeDragon

Explorer
For those who invested heavily in the first edition, nothing in the second edition invalidates the rules of the first edition if your table wants to continue playing the first edition.

However, businesses need to generate profit through new products and, thus, a second edition offers new sales avenues alongside rules updates that will attract new collectors and hopefully, also older collectors.

View attachment 107703

Sure, if you have zero respect for the established rules laid down by the creator of the world, you can do all sorts of idiotic things.

There's a big difference between "Let's allow people to play female dwarves, even though Tolkien had one or maybe two sentences among 100,000+ that says that's not a thing" and "zero respect". I mean, when I run a historical game I typically allow females to take roles that they would not have typically taken historically. Does that mean I have "zero respect" for history?

Trying to make everything black and white -- "if you don't respect it 100%, you respect it 0%" is just silly. Much more sensible might be to compare all the things the publishers DO respect and then subtract of the things they do not. So I'll re-write your sentence in a less extremist vein:

"if you have 99% respect for the established rules laid down by the creator of the world, you can do all sorts of cool things that feel exactly like the world, but allow more people to enjoy it more than if you respected it 100%"

Go back and reread the TOR core book and you will not see a single mention of female dwarfs not being allowed to be PCs or not allowed out of their homes. The Dwarf section does not even use male or female pronouns at all, and just uses they and them.

And without taking the time to go back and read through every single published adventure again, I am pretty sure I remember at least one with a female dwarf NPC that you can help and/or adventure with.

Also no, I do not yet own the AiME version of TOR, so I cannot compare to that, to see if they worded things differently.

But even though I have no problem at all with someone wanting to make a female dwarf as their character, it is still an odd sight seeing that one in the cover illustration. Especially beardless. Because whether female dwarfs grow them or not, there is no way one would go out on an adventure and not wear at least a false beard to hide they are not male.

Gehrigan

Explorer
You haven't read Appendix A to the Lord of the Rings, have you?

There are dwarven women, but they are rare and stay underground.

I agree there shouldn't be a dwarven woman adventurer on the cover, since that would constitute a breach of canon to rival the ridiculous elven-dwarven romance in the Hobbit movies.

Say what? And Hobbits never leave the shire. There are always those in any society who snub society's norms and go their own path. Don't be so close minded.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads