Check Out These Postcards From The Abyss: Meet The 8 Demon Lords of RAGE OF DEMONS

Check out this selection of images directly from the upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. The following images are of postcards available at Gen Con. All eight demons described, in a storyline WotC's Mike Mearls describes as "So what's Rage of Demons about? Imagine of Cthulhu woke up in the Underdark and there were eight of him." Meet Yeenoghu, Demogorgon, Zuggtmoy, Baphomet, Graz'zt, Orcus, Juiblex, and Fraz-Urb'luu!

CLWMsV5UsAATsag.jpg

CLWN-Q3W8AALGrE.jpg

CLWb1emWgAAu0So.jpg

CLWcWxgWgAAabTH.jpg

View attachment 69574

CLWc5-cW8AANzD8.jpg

CLWdV4BW8AAiU6Q.jpg

CLWdqNHWoAAD3Jr.jpg

Kannik

Hero
I don't know if some or all the art is/was re-used from somewhere else, but I really like the style, it's nicely evocative of the oddness/disturbingness of demons...

turkeygiant

First Post
I don't know if some or all the art is/was re-used from somewhere else, but I really like the style, it's nicely evocative of the oddness/disturbingness of demons...

I don't recognize it myself, could be all new art it is very much the same style, maybe even the same artist.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: *Ahem*

In other news, some guy on the WotC forums is complaining that "Orcus" and "Demogorgon" (and "Juiblex") suck as names and thinks they should be changed.

I am sure these names have long histories attached to them, but some of them seem pretty badly conceived.

Jubilee means celebration, change the last 'e' to an 'x' and it is a faceless demon lord?

Orc is one of the most common people in virtually all D&D worlds so "Orc-us" seems an odd name for a demonlord with no relation to them. It would be like having the name "Elwyn" on a celestial lord that had nothing to do with elves.

And Demogorgon? As in "Demon Gorgon". The combination of demon and the general greek word for monster. That one just seems lazy.

I get that they are trying to reach out to old school fans, but... man.. I think I would rename these guys if I were going to use them in a campaign. The others are fine, but those three are in desperate need of a rename. Maybe include a second name as an AKA. Surely their names aren't the same in all languages.
Other people have set him straight about the real world origins of some of those names.

Last edited by a moderator:

In other news, some guy on the WotC forums is complaining that "Orcus" and "Demogorgon" (and "Juiblex") suck as names and thinks they should be changed.

Other people have set him straight about the real world origins of some of those names.

And to point out that Juiblex is not spelled like Jubilee.

Schmoe

Adventurer

I agree. It is really good. I especially like Zuggtmoy and Fraz Urb'luu. They have enough familiarity to make you think of "normal" humanoids, but they are just off enough to be unsettling. Good stuff.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases