Child abuse in regards to Dungeons and Dragons IRL, how should such things be handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
7th Circuit isn’t letting it go, for one. Not exactly pikers, them.

As for Snyder v. Phelps, that was distinguished from the fighting words exception mainly because:

1) The Supreme Court's holding turned largely on its determination that the church was speaking on "matters of public concern" as opposed to "matters of purely private significance." IOW, it is perfectly legal to express a negative opinion about homosexuality in general, even if the expression is offensive.

2) There was no pre-existing relationship between Westboro's speech and Snyder that might suggest that the speech on public matters was intended to mask an attack on Snyder over a private matter. Therefore, the Court held that the Phelps and his followers were "speaking" on matters of public concern on public property and thus, were entitled to protection under the First Amendment.

If, for instance, Westboro had called out Snyder etc. in particular using essentially the same language instead of condemning homosexuals (and those who love them) in general, the result in the case would have probably have been different.

Yeah, but I found Alito's dissent much more persuasive than the decision - one of the very few times I've agreed with Alito. Lack of pre-existing relationship and inclusion of some public concern amid the direct comments do nothing to alleviate the damage being inflicted. As far as I'm concerned, the majority decision makes Chaplinsky pretty much unworkable as a guide.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

1. To the OP...no, I don't think it would qualify as child abuse. That said, I firmly believe that any adult trying to indoctrinate (re: TELL the child and DEMAND acceptance and obedience) a child into ANY religion should be illegal and classified as child abuse. I've seen it first hand with friends and an ex-girlfriend (when we were 13 to 15) does to kids and teens. It NEVER ends well. Ever. Maybe not outright "leaving the family never to return", but there is ALWAYS resentment and severe disappointment and trust issues between the kid and the parent(s) if the kid doesn't believe. But for all my Atheist (and two Satanist) friends? Great relationships with their parents. Mutual respect. Why? Because the kid was guided to live their own life and make their own choices since day one...exceptions being the 'obvious' child rearing ones (like trying to keep them away from smoking, drugs, drinking, lying, stealing, fighting, etc...things universal to every child, basically).

2. Police semi-OT stuff: You want to see the state of modern policing in the USA? Hit Youtube and search for "1st amendment audit". Be prepared for rage-inducing LEO antics ("LEO": Law Enforcement Officer).

3. Full disclosure: I'm a Satanist. Have been since I was 17 and I'm turning 50 on the 20th of this month. I can honestly say "Satanism saved my life"...and it's not only honest, but true (whole thing about messed up angsty love-sick teenage stupidity, two suicide attempts with the last resulting in a Near Death Experience; but that's a WHOLE other story! :) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I’ve always been disappointed when SCOTUS essentially punts Constitutional issues back to the states. The nature of your fundamental rights shouldn’t depend on what state you’re in.

aramis erak

Legend
Personally, I’ve always been disappointed when SCOTUS essentially punts Constitutional issues back to the states. The nature of your fundamental rights shouldn’t depend on what state you’re in.
When they do that, they're essentially saying, "This isn't a fundamental right, no matter what the plantiff (and possibly also the lower court) thinks."

GreyLord

Legend
It strikes me as possible that the officers in question may have thought this was the case, and been mistaken.

I was in one of the "everyone is a mandatory reporter" states. There are a few out there. Also, encased in state law it says that anyone is required to report (and that it can be a felony not to). It DOES specify certain types of professionals as well in the law, not sure why if everyone is required to report why they also cover which professionals are also required to report there. As I said, this is not a strong point that I am knowledgeable about. I WAS a volunteer that was working with youth. I DID have a training video and other training (which on reflection I should have paid closer attention to) that had some information regarding this, and I had a background check done prior to being able to volunteer.

This is why I suppose I was told I am a mandatory reporter.

I mainly just DM though. The game is open to ANYONE who wants to play, youth or adults. There were other adults in the room at the time, including my supervisor who is the head volunteer for our little group and has been doing this for FAR LONGER than I. I don't know who else has been interviewed by the police or what was said or told to them, but I'd imagine (or hope) they'd be the ones they'd look at before me even as they have a greater amount of experience than I do. I was the one at the table though to whom many of the remarks were focused at beyond the kids, and I was the one managing or supposedly supervising the group at the time.

I really have no idea though. Found quite a bit of information looking it up on line though, states differ from state to state on what required reporting is and who is a mandatory reporter. I think I live in one of the 15-18 states where anyone is considered a mandatory reporter from what I gather, though it also seems that would make 32-35 states to have it be more specific.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When they do that, they're essentially saying, "This isn't a fundamental right, no matter what the plantiff (and possibly also the lower court) thinks."
Except they’re not.

The issues I’m thinking of are things that are specifically enumerated in the Constitution & Amendments and are often involved in landmark decisions, like gun rights, voter rights, religious freedoms and so forth. But several difficult cases involving the cores of those rights have been whiffed on by the SCOTUS. Some such issues have subsequently even been bungled by State courts, leading to new Federal legislation...and State legislation that is similar to but different from the Federal versions. Soooo messy.

This isn’t new or even modern; go back as far as you like, and you’ll find a few such cases.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It DOES specify certain types of professionals as well in the law, not sure why if everyone is required to report why they also cover which professionals are also required to report there.

In all likelihood, those professionals explicitly mentioned in the laws as mandatory reporters also have certain carve-outs in law that otherwise allow them to keep secrets or even prevent them from revealing secrets under penalty of law. IOW, some kind of privilege- priest/penitent, attorney/client, doctor/patient, and so forth.

ccs

41st lv DM
Please don't make it personal.
I was in one of the "everyone is a mandatory reporter" states. There are a few out there. Also, encased in state law it says that anyone is required to report (and that it can be a felony not to). It DOES specify certain types of professionals as well in the law, not sure why if everyone is required to report why they also cover which professionals are also required to report there. As I said, this is not a strong point that I am knowledgeable about. I WAS a volunteer that was working with youth. I DID have a training video and other training (which on reflection I should have paid closer attention to) that had some information regarding this, and I had a background check done prior to being able to volunteer.

This is why I suppose I was told I am a mandatory reporter.

OMG. What are you, completely stupid? You work in some semi-official capacity with minors and you didn't pay attention to the training videos?? :censored:
Let alone actually find out the details of the laws they no doubt merely touched upon?

I'll stand by my original assessment of you. Ignorant & dangerous. Except now I'll also add scared & emboldened (because, like a broken clock, you just happened to be coincidently right. This time).
This is a horrendous combination.

Go talk to a lawyer.
Re-take your training courses.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll stand by my original assessment of you. Ignorant & dangerous.

Mod Note:
This is over the line. Talking to fellow posters in this way will get you removed from a thread.

The lucky thing for ccs here, is that other posters have gone over the line, and the thread is really off in left field, in terms of gaming-relevance. So, time to shut this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases