D&D 5E Choosing a 3rd party monster book

RoiC.

Explorer
I'm looking to get a new 5e bestiary book. Since I've already gotten the Monster Manual, VGtM and MToF, I'm thinking of getting a 3rd party book. I'm leaning towards a book that's mostly focused on planar creatures and fey (although a few extra dragons and aberrations can be a big bonus) that can inspire me and shake things up a bit.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Kobold Press books (although I'm having a hard time choosing between the Tome of Foes, the Creature Codex and the Tome of Foes II, so any input would be appreciated), but I'm open to hear any recommendations you can make. If you can elaborate on why you recommend a certain book (theme, stat block quality, interesting lore, inspiration or whatever else comes to mind), it'd be very helpful.

Volund

Explorer
+1 for Tome of Horrors 5e and Fifth Edition Foes.

FGG is licensed to publish monsters from the 1e Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II, so in addition to in addition to FGG content these books have a lot of 5e stat blocks for AD&D monsters that I haven't seen published anywhere by WotC - Crypt Thing, Decapus, Dracolisk, Gorgimera, Mobat, etc. FGG runs frequent sales on pdf's - I bought both for under $15.

Just a few threads below this one currently, we're discussing the Monster Manual Expanded III with its author, who is giving us art previews of the upcoming release. If you want some good general monster books, with (among other things) lots of interesting variants and twists on normal generic monsters, you should look into his previous releases: the Monster Manual Expanded and the Monster Manual Expanded II, both on the DMs guild.

delericho

Legend
Regarding the three Kobold Press books, I would recommend purchasing them in order (that is, ToB, then CC, then ToB2). They're all excellent, but there are a few cases where they build on the book before - where a monster is introduced in ToB and then more variants are introduced later.

I liked "Fifth Edition Foes" when I first got it, but it has largely fallen out of use since - the other books are just better, IMO.

Finally, I have the two existing "Monster Manual Expanded" volumes. They're excellent for adding lots of new variants of existing monsters, and also for higher-CR monsters. They're a bit less good for new monsters, IMO. But of all the monster books I have, they're very quickly become the most-used after the original MM.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Finally, I have the two existing "Monster Manual Expanded" volumes. They're excellent for adding lots of new variants of existing monsters, and also for higher-CR monsters. They're a bit less good for new monsters, IMO. But of all the monster books I have, they're very quickly become the most-used after the original MM.
They look insanely useful, but man, are the PODs expensive.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Are there any variant monster books out there that are statted up to be fully compatible with 5e, but take a 4e or 13th Age inspired design approach?

By that I mean I'm looking for self-contained stat blocks that never require looking up spells, with varied tactical combat and magic abilities, movement abilities, control effects, and trigger mechanics with variant monster versions included in the same stat block (ala 4e, or 13th Age's 'nastier specials').

I would pay top dollar for such a book, especially if it reworked all the core 5e monsters to fit this design paradigm. @Morrus, something to think about for Level Up's Bestiary.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I noped out of 4E after reading the PHB, but the more I hear about 4E's bloodied condition, the more I like it. I would definitely be interested in a 5E monster book with 4E design theory behind it. (Not so much the aesthetics, though, as that's part of what turned me off about 4E.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases