• Swashbuckling Adventures + 3e D&D

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Flashing Blades

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 11 55.0%

The Shaman

First Post
I'm preparing to offer a face-to-face Flashing Blades campaign of swashbuckling in 17th century France, but the grim reality is that I will probably have a very tough time actually finding players since few if any will have experience with, or even heard of, FB. I think I may need to try a system that is more relevant/interesting to contemporary gamers.

So I'm considering some different system options.

1. d20 Modern + d20 Past. Actually, since d20 Past sucks harder than an opium fiend on a hookah, it's really d20 Modern plus some house rules for fencing and social climbing drawn from FB.

2. Swashbuckling Adventures + 3e D&D. I have a copy of the d20 version. I skimmed it. I wasn't wowed. Am I missing something? Is the original system better?

3. Flashing Blades. Stick to my guns and see if I can wrangle up some players for this venerable but slick swashbuckler.

4. Other. My knowledge of rpgs isn't what anyone would call encyclopædic. Just don't recommend GURPS or Lace and Steel.

Little help?

Crothian

First Post
I've never heard of Flashing Blades either.

GURPs, but not for the rules. The Swashbuckling and Scarlet Pimpernel books are quite good. For a system, while it is not nearly my favorite game, Savage Worlds would work well.

The Shaman

First Post
I've never heard of Flashing Blades either.
*sigh*
Crothian said:
GURPs, but not for the rules. The Swashbuckling and Scarlet Pimpernel books are quite good.
I have the swashbuckling book. It's not bad, but the one for Rolemaster is head-and-shoulders better, in my opinion.
Crothian said:
For a system, while it is not nearly my favorite game, Savage Worlds would work well.
Why? What makes it special?

Crothian

First Post
I have the swashbuckling book. It's not bad, but the one for Rolemaster is head-and-shoulders better, in my opinion.

What is the rolemaster one called? I've not seen it. I like the GURPs book because it is very easy to use without using GURPS.

Why? What makes it special?

I would not call it special, others will though.:D

It is very easy to learn and simple to run and play. It lends itself well to being a cinematic game which is how I like my swashbuckling games. It also has a the Savage World Explorer Edition, which is a small $10 book with just the rules in it making it very affordable.

I'm preparing to offer a face-to-face Flashing Blades campaign of swashbuckling in 17th century France, but the grim reality is that I will probably have a very tough time actually finding players since few if any will have experience with, or even heard of, FB. I think I may need to try a system that is more relevant/interesting to contemporary gamers.
Bah! Follow your heart and run Flashing Blades. It's perfect for what you want to do, and presumably you like it and are enthusiastic about it. That can go a long way. Present it as already decided ("I'm running Flashing Blades..."), express your enthusiasm ("...the game is about such-and-such, and is really cool and fun..."), and ask people to play ("would you like to play?") If they say they'd play if you ran it in their system of choice, tell them "Oh, well, maybe we can play together some other time" (i.e. stick to your guns). If they turn you down because of the system, ask someone else.

The Shaman

First Post
The Rolemaster book is called At Rapier's Point. If you enjoy the genre, then I highly recommend it.

"Cinematic" is NOT a selling point for me - I want more Dumas, Weyman, and Orzcy and less Stephen Herek and Renny Harlan.

PJ, I've tried that with another system: net result is no gaming for me for almost two years. I'm tired of not playing.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the D20 style of RPGs, I'd go Swashbuckling Adventures without hesitation.

However, I'd prefer to go with HERO if I had the option.

Stormborn

Explorer
In the D20 style of RPGs, I'd go Swashbuckling Adventures without hesitation.

However, I'd prefer to go with HERO if I had the option.

I would not. Swashbuckling Adventures, at times, suffers from poor mechanics and balance issues. Great for inspiration, but not so great from a mechanical standpoint. I just never did feel like it worked well with other d20 products. While I have no personal experiance I have heard the original system works better for the kinds of adventures its meant for.

I have run a somewhat swashbuckling game, although it wasnt exactly what I wanted due to player issues. I just used DnD and houserulled. If I was going to do it now I would probablly use True20 or a d20 Modern variant and Adamant's Skillful Stunts system (which I don't think is available anymore) or something similar. Maybe pull a short list of the maneuvers from Book of Nine Swords and make them availble as feats through Martial Study and Marital Stance.

Come to think of it, Star Wars Saga would work well, dropping the Jedi and the Force, in terms of clases plus a good stunt system.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
If you can find it, the old Lace and Steel had an amazing system for 1v1 dueling using cards. The rest of the system was also great, although it was a fantasy setting where the PC races were humans, satyrs, centaurs, and pixies.

That said, drop the setting, use the system.

It did start to break down as soon as your fight involved more than 1 against 1... and at the time it came out I remember discussions on how to fix that on places like rec.games.frp... (yeah, its old).

Remove ads