• Swashbuckling Adventures + 3e D&D

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Flashing Blades

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 11 55.0%

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I personally would use savage worlds. It's very quick and easy, but has lots of detail, and PCs are able to customize their fighting styles easily. Also, tricks, taunts and intimidation can play a big part in the combat system. Plus, the game's all of $10 for a full color book, so it's easy to check out.

I wouldn't use d20 modern, and definitely not swashbucking adventures, which has some seriously dodgy rules.

I'm not at all familiar with flashing blades, but if it does what you want and you're able to find people to play it, go for it.

sjmiller

Explorer
Well, you have already ruled out my personal choice, which is GURPS. Why people are so against that system is beyond me, but oh well. I seem to remember owning Flashing Blades, and I think it's a fairly good game system. So, go for it, play the system you want. People will play system they have not heard of if you present it in a positive light and are excited about it.

Geneally, for this type of game I would avoid a d20 system. I just don't think the game mechanics are designed for a good historical swashbuckler game.

Khairn

First Post
If its a "grim 'n gritty" almost realistic combat system you are looking for, have you looked at Riddle of Steel? Personally I love it as it does that type of game very well. Of the other options that have been mentioned my choices would be

1 & 2 - Flashing Blades / At Rapiers Point (gritty, dangerous and detailed)
3 - 7th Sea (especially for the swashbuckling aspect)
4 - D20 (with some house rules to be a decent combination of all)

Wombat

First Post
I had fun with Flashing Blades! many years ago -- it felt like a juiced up version of En Garde, for the few people who remember that proto-rpg. ;) The advantage to FB, as far as this might go, is that it can be deadly, but it is fairly true-to-genre, especially when you are talking Dumas. It gives good due to gunpowder weapons, but also notes their limitations -- they are deadly, but ssslllloooowwww to reload. Most of my players treated them as one shot weapons -- literally fire & forget ;) I liked the fact that players usually joined regiments or took positions in the church or government (many, of course, aiming to either join the King's Musketeers or become ennobled through worthy acts).

Some people like The Riddle of Steel for musketeer games -- it is certainly easy enough to ignore the terrible magic system that got short of globbed on at the end. In many ways, this is one of the best dueling systems going -- combat is short and usually quite deadly, pretty much the antithesis of "cinematic". The system they have doesn't map a lot of eras well, but it does great for rapier-and-main-gauche style fighting.

7th Sea is definitely cinematic. It is whopping great fun, but it is more Errol Flynn and vaguely Arabian Nights than Dumas; it is sort of a Western version of Legend of Five Rings, if you are familiar with that. It is a dice pool system that doesn't get out of hand, which is nice; it is kinda hard to find, as it is out of print, I believe.

Just some thoughts from someone who love D'Artagnan & Co and has dreamed of making his own "musketeers & magic" game where the magic would be based on what people in the early 17th century thought was possible... ;)

The Shaman

First Post
If you can find it, the old Lace and Steel had an amazing system for 1v1 dueling using cards. . . . It did start to break down as soon as your fight involved more than 1 against 1... and at the time it came out I remember discussions on how to fix that on places like rec.games.frp... (yeah, its old).
Did you miss the part in my initial post where I said, "Just don't recommend Lace and Steel?"
If its a "grim 'n gritty" almost realistic combat system you are looking for, have you looked at Riddle of Steel?
Not yet. I hear it's hard to find. And will I be able to find players for it?
1 & 2 - Flashing Blades / At Rapiers Point gritty, dangerous and detailed)
That highlighted part is important.

My influences are more literary than cinematic.
I had fun with Flashing Blades! many years ago -- it felt like a juiced up version of En Garde, for the few people who remember that proto-rpg. ;) The advantage to FB, as far as this might go, is that it can be deadly, but it is fairly true-to-genre, especially when you are talking Dumas. It gives good due to gunpowder weapons, but also notes their limitations -- they are deadly, but ssslllloooowwww to reload. Most of my players treated them as one shot weapons -- literally fire & forget ;) I liked the fact that players usually joined regiments or took positions in the church or government (many, of course, aiming to either join the King's Musketeers or become ennobled through worthy acts).
You've hit on all the reasons I like Flashing Blades so much. Now if I could just convince others . . .

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the feedback.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Well I won't recommend GURPS, as you have specifically said not to.

I'll put in another vote for 7th Sea, although I haven't played it, just read the rules. I do like the many various fencing styles it includes. NOt sure about the magic system but it can always be ignored.

And I must always throw in a suggestion to use HERO. It's my favourite system for anything. :cool: And in fact I have just convinced my gaming group to try Champions, so will be starting a campiagn of that very soon! (off topic I know, but I feel the need to tell everyone cos I am v. excited. :D)

Edited for: how the hell did I get a smiley there?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I would really recommend going with Flashing Blades. I actually own a copy of the rules, so I can say I'd be in. What's more, if you go to FGU's website, you can buy all of the rules and the supplements for it now.

If I wasn't going to do that, I'd say go with Spirit of the Century, which has a free SRD available. That is probably not what you're looking for, because it's so free-form, but I think you could do a bang-up job with it in terms of the roleplaying aspects.

Other ideas would be: riddle of steel, or Burning Wheel, both of which would need some tweaking, but both also have excellent dueling systems.

But in the end: get out to Wisconsin, and I'll find you a table full of Flashing Blades players (or, to be more accurate, players who'll try just about any kind of game).

Good luck, and do an actual play if you can: I'd enjoy hearing how Flashing Blades actually runs...

--Steve

The Shaman

First Post
If I wasn't going to do that, I'd say go with Spirit of the Century, which has a free SRD available. That is probably not what you're looking for, because it's so free-form, but I think you could do a bang-up job with it in terms of the roleplaying aspects.
I've read the SotC SRD and posted a thread awhile ago on running L'esprit de l'Ancien Regime, but I wasn't impressed by either the system or the suggestions.
SteveC said:
But in the end: get out to Wisconsin, and I'll find you a table full of Flashing Blades players (or, to be more accurate, players who'll try just about any kind of game).
Thanks very much. :)
SteveC said:
Good luck, and do an actual play if you can: I'd enjoy hearing how Flashing Blades actually runs...
Will do.
For a system, while it is not nearly my favorite game, Savage Worlds would work well.
Savage Worlds is designed for fast prep and cinematic feel.
I personally would use savage worlds.
Yep, Savage Worlds.
Um, Savage Worlds its clear to me.
I'm on page 67 or 68 of Savage Worlds of Solomon Kane, and I'm pretty impressed by what I've read so far.

It's looking like either Flashing Blades or Savage Worlds.

Once again, thanks to all for the replies. Deeply appreciated.

Remove ads