D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

Why? Because it dares to put a non-caster on equal footing? Are you really going with it has to be "Nerds rule jocks drool" or it isnt D&D?
What I don't like about 'mythic hero class' is not that they end up as a superhero, but that they start as one. To me a big part of the appeal of D&D is "from zero to hero", so to me it feels conceptually wrong to start as a superhero. So basically the same issue I have with the level 20 dirt farmers, except in reverse.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
both are supposed to be fun and equals... I don't need my fighter to throw a fireball... but if the wizard can every round do 8d6 to 10 targets then makeing 3 attacks looks kinda blah
Look at the bigger picture. Sure that wizard just did a metric crapton of damage.....................in one fight. Then he lost 4-5 fireballs, which at 11th level, means that he is completely out of 3rd level slots and is down 1 or 2 4th level slots. The wizard has 4-6 more encounters to use spells in and he's used up 4-5 of his 9 3rd-6th level slots. Even if he uses his Arcane Recovery, if he continues at that pace there will be 3 or 4 encounters where he only has cantrips and very low level spells to use against CR 11+ encounters. The fighter? He's trucking along through all of those fights with his 3 attacks. It's going to even out.

Remathilis

Legend
Slightly tougher....? PLAH-EASE give me a break. :rolleyes:

By level 20, a champion fighter can slaughter hundreds of town guards... more so than any wizard could hope to match because the wizard will eventually run out of spells.

Did you miss the part of my post which you quoted:

:)
I get the feeling that some people want to make fighters have the exact powers of a Chuck Norris joke.

Chuck Norris once shot an enemy plane down with his finger, by yelling, “Bang!”

Chuck Norris once punched a man in the soul.

When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he’s pushing the Earth down.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Lol. You realize fighters don't have infinite HP. Bounded accuracy will lay that fighter low quick with a bunch of crossbows. A wizard can easily kill a town if that's what they choose. For that day. Then repick their superpowers after a nap to roflstomp the next purported challenge.
The same bunch of crossbows kills the wizard even faster.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Even as a DM, I find it frustrating to need to rummage thru both the Players Handbook and the DMs Guide, at the same time, to doublecheck how a skill works.

I want all gaming content in the Players Handbook, especially skill info, as the only place I need to look.
I sympathize on the skill check issue. Having it in two different spots with only very slight differences is silly. That should only be in the PHB since it's primarily a player resource. Optional skill use rules should be in the DMG. Rules that are DM only, though, those should be in the DMG.

Remove ads