• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Chris just said why I hate wizard/fighter dynamic

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sure, I just checked them out. Disappointed that most are combat focused. So for the most part do little to aid the other tiers. There are SOME good additions, like soldier knacks that add outside of combat - and they're a great start.
The maneuvers are designed for combat, so of course they're combat-focused. The knacks are designed mostly for exploration, and each class has social-tier stuff built in.

Giving fighters all combat styles, and letting them select which ones are active on a long rest (later short rest) might add some much needed flexibility to the class. At minimum they need more skills (and an expertise) as well to help contribute in the other pillars. Base attunement on casting, with the current 3 for full casters, 4 for half casters, and unlimited for non-casters, and let them designate a signature item that grows in power with them to ensure they at least have some equipment without relying on DM pity. A wizard gets to pick 2 spells each level to ensure they have the tools to function. A fighter's equipment should be the same.

Oofta

Legend
"I have a sandwich, how can anyone else be hungry?"

Maybe accept people at their word when they say fighter types as is in 5E are unsatisfying? We have a half dozen caster classes, a number of them redundant wastes of space (hi sorcerer/druid), so why does a certain crowd always pop up to shout down a new, complex fighter type class that they have no interest in playing anyways?
Maybe accept that you can't please everyone and that a lot of people don't share your opinion?

Steven K

Villager
I haven't played one, but my son and his friends love the Eldritch Knight. And it feels like there is some literary support for the fighter with a few spells (although I can't think of one off the top of my head besides Mouser).

It feels like there could be a lot of flavor options to power the abilities - qi, bloodline, grit, panache, rage, psi, devotion, ancestral link, spirit guardian, ritual for the war God, the force, destiny's blessing... where most people have at least one that appeals to them as a splash of flavor on their fighter

All the people? I got nothing. Maybe for those wanting mundane a subclass that guarantees inheriting magic items if they don't find them?
I haven't played one, but my son and his friends love the Eldritch Knight. And it feels like there is some literary support for the fighter with a few spells (although I can't think of one off the top of my head besides Mouser).

It feels like there could be a lot of flavor options to power the abilities - qi, bloodline, grit, panache, rage, psi, devotion, ancestral link, spirit guardian, ritual for the war God, the force, destiny's blessing... where most people have at least one that appeals to them as a splash of flavor on their fighter

All the people? I got nothing. Maybe for those wanting mundane a subclass that guarantees inheriting magic items if they don't find them?

As for literary examples, I'm pretty sure there were swordmages in the Wheel of Time series, and of course at the extreme end of the scale there's Gandalf. More important to your son's generation, anime like Naruto and Bleach just accept the idea of magically empowered martials as a given.

In Naruto, the main characters start off as a girl who starts off with 'weak' physical skills but very high Int, a boy who has high skill all round and can create elemental fire ranged attacks, and Naruto, who is a dumbass but knows a single highly advanced technique (shadow clones), plus their teacher who has elemental damage attacks, summoning, illusion magic, plus all the normal 'ninja' stuff the kids can do as well like short range 'teleporting', casting disguise self at will, and having a high stealth score. Yet the world is very much a martial, hand to hand or weapon attack predominant setting.

As for Bleach, the main character is a pure fighter with a single ranged energy slash option which he can spam if he wants to, but everyone else who matters is a samurai who can switch to magical spells at will by chanting a few phrases of nonsense poetry.

In Avatar: the last Airbender martial arts are equated with the control elements cantrips of D&D. That's just how the setting works. Each style resonates with a different element, so they can use them in their attacks.

I could go on, but I think the point is made.

Steven K

Villager
any monster can be given more spell resistance, more hitpoints, and higher saves. boom high level monster. I think the current trend of people wanting rules to fix everything and GM to just be a referee kill GM creativity.

But nothing can kill GM creativity. You have complete control of your setting and which rules official or otherwise are allowed.

Now look at the inverse. Homebrewing a monster just to make it more competitive isn't creativity, it's homework. There are better things a GM could be spending their precious prep time on than busywork. Moreover, a well-crafted official rule solves a problem that could occur at multiple tables, thus lessening the need for excessive duplication of the same process of figuring out that there is a problem, finding out exactly what the problem is, then engineering a solution, again taking away from precious prep time.

Aldarc

Legend
That distinction can easily be achieved - and in effect was, as far back as 1e - by simply stating that certain spells have a casting time of 10 minutes, or even more. (and as IMO all spells should have a casting time anyway rather than the 3-4-5e start-and-finish-all-within-your-turn paradigm, this is trivially easy to do once those casting times for all spells are in place)
Making everything spells doesn’t achieve that desired distinction; instead, it removes it entirely. So I’m not sure if you get what I would want.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
"I have a sandwich, how can anyone else be hungry?"

Maybe accept people at their word when they say fighter types as is in 5E are unsatisfying? We have a half dozen caster classes, a number of them redundant wastes of space (hi sorcerer/druid), so why does a certain crowd always pop up to shout down a new, complex fighter type class that they have no interest in playing anyways?
I'm not shooting it down. I just don't ever expect WotC to make it happen.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, I just checked them out. Disappointed that most are combat focused. So for the most part do little to aid the other tiers. There are SOME good additions, like soldier knacks that add outside of combat - and they're a great start.
The actual class features of the LU fighter help with the other tiers.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Making everything spells doesn’t achieve that desired distinction; instead, it removes it entirely. So I’m not sure if you get what I would want.
Er...when you say "making everything spells", to what are you referring?

I think we've slipped a gear somewhere in this conversation. :)

Edit: oh, I get it now - you're saying rituals aren't spells. I think they are, just under a different name and using different attrition rules in terms of slots etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads