D&D 5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

darjr

I crit!
Rehash is too strong a word for the breadth of what they have dine.

Phandelver and Essentials are new and very good, and Ghosts is very derivative but still is cool.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Besides re-designing the core mechanics/rulebooks and the Ravnica setting isnt everything WotC has put out for 5E pretty much a rehash of a previous setting or adventure with a few new ideas thrown in here and there?

I mean... I guess, if you look at it loosely. Beyond the direct remakes (Curse of Strahd, TftYP, DotMM, GoS), the big adventures are really more "homages" than "reshashes."

Storm King's Thunder is of course heavily inspired by "Against the Giants," but it's certainly not a remake of that, and not really a rehash either.

R_J_K75

Legend
I mean... I guess, if you look at it loosely. Beyond the direct remakes (Curse of Strahd, TftYP, DotMM, GoS), the big adventures are really more "homages" than "reshashes."

Storm King's Thunder is of course heavily inspired by "Against the Giants," but it's certainly not a remake of that, and not really a rehash either.

Fair enough. I guess what I was thinking didnt come out quite right. Let me try again, regardless of what campaign setting they use for the next supplement or adventure it'd be nice to see either/both set in a place thats not been detailed or used before. If that were the case FR would be out for sure.

teitan

Legend
Besides re-designing the core mechanics/rulebooks and the Ravnica setting isnt everything WotC has put out for 5E pretty much a rehash of a previous setting or adventure with a few new ideas thrown in here and there?
Demonstrably no. Have they picked up on nostalgic threads? Yes sorta. Princes of the Apocalypse was inspired by Elemental Evil, wel more Monte Cook’s return to module. Storm Kong’s Thunder has one thing in common with Against the Giants and that would be that it is an adventure about giants. Tyranny of Dragons only similarity to DL was Tiamat at the end and it involves... dragons. Out of the Abyss was unique, an under dark adventure that didn’t focus on drow. They are no more remakes than a Paizo Adventure Path is a remake of similar ideas. It’s really a trite comparison to say WOtC is rehashing all their adventures when it’s a handful of classics meant to help carry on the culture of D&D and connect the past to the present. The majority are unique adventures that have only a some similar themes to past adventures.

teitan

Legend
Here is an idea... what if it is a Vecna adventure? Vecna was Ravenloft and Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms and featured in some classic modules in all three settings that showed his ascent to godhood and could also thematically also tie to Tomb of Annihilation.

Fair enough. I guess what I was thinking didnt come out quite right. Let me try again, regardless of what campaign setting they use for the next supplement or adventure it'd be nice to see either/both set in a place thats not been detailed or used before. If that were the case FR would be out for sure.

Not necessarily. They've hinted that Lantan will be in an upcoming adventure (which had led to speculation of "Spelljammer campaign that starts in Lantan" both here and elsewhere). And Lantan is that rarest of rare beasts, a large area close to the most heavily covered regions of the Forgotten Realms that has never been covered outside a few scattered sentences in a handful of products over the last 30 years. Basically, all that has ever been revealed about it, outside the names and positions of the towns on the islands on the various maps of the setting, is that they are fairly mechanically inclined, mainly worship Gond, and have a sizeable gnome population. Honestly (to go back the Spelljammer theme), we know far more about the other planets in Toril's solar system than we do about Lantan...

As others have said, Deserts of Desolation (not gothic horror, but more mummy-archaeology horror).

There is enough material in Desert of Desolation to make a full book on it's own (adding a level 1-4 prequel for a start). And it's only really Pharaoh that fits a horror theme. The last episode is more like Labyrinth with it's phoenix-infested tesseract.

There isn't anything full-on Lovecraft, but anything Tharizdun is. Plus, the Shackled City and Age of Worms APs were definitely pulling horror and eldritch vibes.
I thought of The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, but it has two problems: it isn't very good and it isn't very scary.

A couple of the actual Ravenloft modules might be worth bringing back from the dead. It's own mummy outing - Touch of Death - spawned a computer game adaptation (Stone Prophet) so it must have had something going for it. The only other one I owned was Ship of Horrors, and since I can't remember anything apart from the ship map I guess it wasn't very memorable.

I think it might appear eventually, but one thing it seems obvious the hint in the original post does not refer to is Lantan/Spelljammer…

I also think Dragonlance is implausible, despite the 25% overlap of writing team. CoS and Dragonlance are very different in tone, and cannot necessarily be expected to appeal to the same types of player (thinking particularly of people coming to them fresh).

Remove ads