D&D 5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Here is an idea... what if it is a Vecna adventure? Vecna was Ravenloft and Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms and featured in some classic modules in all three settings that showed his ascent to godhood and could also thematically also tie to Tomb of Annihilation.

As long as it is not a repeat of a certain adventure not to be named.

:eek:

Remathilis

Legend
Another possible option for a book, even though it would contravene WotC's traditional schedule, is a GoS-esque collection of Ravenloft, or, even, just horror-themed adventures with some horror rules. Perhaps a TFtYP book is in order, one with only horrific adventures, with a few horror rules and horror monsters added.

Alternatively, Perkins's hint could be about classic horror tales from D&D. Maybe DoD is a possibility, as other posters have said.
I would love to see some horror adventures not focused on Strahd and his damn castle. I love that module, but I've saved Ireena from Strahd a dozen times and would love something new.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
As long as it is not a repeat of a certain adventure not to be named.

:eek:
Yeah I think that was done before lol. Great set of adventures to play as I love ravenloft and planescape and all the settings.
I personally think someone posting earlier had a great idea. And that is to do something like DC’s crisis with all the settings. I would love to see a planescape/ravenloft/Oerth/Abeir- Toril/Mystara/Krynn/Athas/birthright/jakandor/Council of Wyrms/Nentir Vale crossover event. That would be badass if they had the patience to do 5 years building up to it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You might want Dragonlance. You might think it's the best, most D&D thing ever, we may get Dragonlance eventually. But the hint in the OP does not point even remotely in that direction.

I do hate it when people can't distinguish between "what I want" and "what they said".

None of which has anything remotely to do with the hint from Chris Perkins. CoS featured vampires not dragons, which very strongly suggests that whatever Chris Perkins is working on is more closely related to vampires than dragons.

You might not like that Chris Perkins is working on something not connected to dragons, but that can't change what he said.

If people are interested in "non-FR" stuff, they are probably not interested in another generic fantasy setting.

Again, has nothing to do with the hint.

Hilariously, your own argument (that you need to read the hint for what it is), can be used against your opinion (that it isn't Dragonlance).

The hint is; If you like Curse of Strahd, I think you’re going to love the thing I’m currently working on for 2020.

There is nothing in there about horror. It can be interpreted as being about horror, but it can be interpreted as being about a remake about any classic module, and even further interpreted as a classic module originally made by the Hickmans.

The hint is so purposefully vague that both interpretations are perfectly valid, and you can't conclusively argue against one or the other until we get more info.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Hilariously, your own argument (that you need to read the hint for what it is), can be used against your opinion (that it isn't Dragonlance).

The hint is; If you like Curse of Strahd, I think you’re going to love the thing I’m currently working on for 2020.

There is nothing in there about horror. It can be interpreted as being about horror, but it can be interpreted as being about a remake about any classic module, and even further interpreted as a classic module originally made by the Hickmans.

The hint is so purposefully vague that both interpretations are perfectly valid, and you can't conclusively argue against one or the other until we get more info.
But, why would he mention CoS specifically if that were the case?

The hint is; If you like Curse of Strahd, I think you’re going to love the thing I’m currently working on for 2020.. It can be interpreted as being about horror, but it can be interpreted as being about a remake about any classic module, and even further interpreted as a classic module originally made by the Hickmans.
Rubbish. For a start it's only one Hickman overlap. Weis had nothing to do with Strahd. For another it's a completely different genre. Authors have the ability to write different kinds of stuff. It's like saying "if you like Harry Potter you will love A Casual Vacancy". If you haven't read them, I can assure you this is probably not the case.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer

yes because the first thing a person will think of when given strahd as a hint is dragonlance.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Rubbish. For a start it's only one Hickman overlap. Weis had nothing to do with Strahd. For another it's a completely different genre. Authors have the ability to write different kinds of stuff. It's like saying "if you like Harry Potter you will love A Casual Vacancy". If you haven't read them, I can assure you this is probably not the case.

1573579207525.png

First, it literally say "By Tracy & Laura Hickman."

Second, if you've seen marketing for any movie/book written by a famous author, they always push the director's previous work despite it being unrelated. The marketing for the film Inception says "From the Director of The Dark Knight," despite those films having no link beyond the same director.

Also I have read A Casual Vacancy. Part of the reason I did is because I know JK Rowling is a good author (if she wasn't JK Rowling, do you think that book would have sold as well?)

EDIT: I feel like I should dump this debate because I personally don't think it's Dragonlace, I'm just annoyed by people who think their POV is automatically correct with the vaguest of hints.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
View attachment 115697

First, it literally say "By Tracy & Laura Hickman."

Second, if you've seen marketing for any movie/book written by a famous author, they always push the director's previous work despite it being unrelated. The marketing for the film Inception says "From the Director of The Dark Knight," despite those films having no link beyond the same director.

Also I have read A Casual Vacancy. Part of the reason I did is because I know JK Rowling is a good author (if she wasn't JK Rowling, do you think that book would have sold as well?)
I don’t think that logic applies to d&d. I could be wrong. But I would put money on it not being dragoblance. And I like dragonlance alot. Now if his hint was if you are Tracy and Laura Hickman fans.... I would agree with you.

basically he didn’t refer to the authors. He referred to Strahd. But we will find out in 2020.

Remove ads