5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

LuisCarlos17f

Adventurer
Somebody said Athas is a demiplane out of prime material plane, it is isolated. The canon says nothing about the "crimson sphere", and this is only fan-art. And it is harder to add new things, as classes.

Dragonlance is awesome as novels, but for TTRPG is harder when all the prominence is for the heroes of the lance, and family. Other matter is if the chronomancers come back to 5th Ed, Krynn could be the main "victim", with fans creating their own parallel timelines, and maybe this would be right.

The cover of Wild Elves by Brom inspires me a crossover between Krynn and Athas in an alternative timeline where the world of Dragonlance is suffering an apocalypse by the defilers from Athas (and maybe Chaos is the responsible).

* Ravenloft needs a sourcebook about Vladantilan, a land in the material plane rule by vampyres (living vampires) and home by Vladimir Luzig. I think if dark powers want to create a zombie apocalypse this will be the main candidate to suffer it. Even I suggest this could be caused by PCs to avoid other zones with more innocent people could suffer that horrible fate.

Sometimes I have imagined a urban dark fantasy, with arcologies (super skyscrapers) but with a noir-punk look, as Tim Burton's Batman movies. Here the psionics were superheroes and supervillains, but there were attacked by unknown creatures from the far realm. When these died dropped a poisonous gas, and then the psionics become mad, psychopaths. (yes, I am plagiarizing the comic "Leaving Megalopolis"). But isn't terrifying when famous superheroes (or ersatz) become monsters? When the temptation of mixing Ravenloft and White Wolf's World of Darkness is too strong, I imagine dark powers tainting, invading, infecting an "outlander" world as 7th Sea or Gothic Earth. This would allow so many supernatural factions.

Have you thought about how could be a race of living constructs (as warforged or shardminds) in Ravenloft? Maybe somebody wanted to create half-golems, or survived when a living carrionette tried a soul transference but with secondary effects, or created by Easan the mad. Maybe created as canon fodder because undeads can't eat or infect constructs.

* After the success of Games of Thrones and getting ready for a second season of the Witcher and Elric of Melnibone also is going to be adapted to the screen I dare to say live-action adaptation of some D&D franchises has the open doors, but they need a really good story.

* My (new) suggestion for WotC and Hasbro is to create a fantasy world but set in the atomic age, with a panzer-punk look (fantasy WWII), because a fictional enemy as the Cobra-la alien empire is more politically correct than Japanese or Russian armies in the second world war. And this world could be used as mash-up of the rest of Hasbro franchises. (Hummmmm, a crossover between Uma Musume Pretty Dervy and Equestria Girls would be fun).

Coroc

Adventurer
I have played dark sun for years with plane hopping. The setting survived just fine. And there was a dark sun domain in ravenloft. The setting didn’t implode. In fact the dark powers is the perfect way to do it and not make it easy.
The darksun segment in Ravenloft does not hurt a bit, it is just darksun turned up to 11 and normally if you complete the adventure herein you should return to the real darksun, that is no planetravelling. But every char from DS ending u in FR or wherever would stay there and not try to get back, so that's not the same for me.

Coroc

Adventurer
I see Ravnica being Eberron's future, Athas would Toril future if it keep blowing itself up and killing its Goddess of Magic.
You know the lore on how DS got its selection of races?

Several races e.g. orcs, present in DS in the so called green age (= distant past) were genocided by powerful magic.

OMG

OMG

They just introduced the hobbit mutant ninja tortles to FR and now they get genocided along with dragon born and (dual rapier wielding) gnomes?

You are so grognard! And you know it! How dare you :p ?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Really? Whew that would be tough, Elric is harder to realize than GoT even.
Got any Sauce on that?
I would kill to see a good adaptation of Elric or Corum. I don’t know if it can be done. And I fear a piece of crap movie. This puts a shiver of fear down my back as I fear how they will bastardize the work or try to be culturally and politically relevant with it or bad special effects.

Coroc

Adventurer
I would kill to see a good adaptation of Elric or Corum. I don’t know if it can be done. And I fear a piece of crap movie. This puts a shiver of fear down my back as I fear how they will bastardize the work or try to be culturally and politically relevant with it or bad special effects.
Elric is super-incorrect if you measure it with todays standards, you got every cliché served.

But see it the other way also : Elric himself is physically challenged, without his drugs or the power Stormbringer gives to him.

LuisCarlos17f

Adventurer
There are plans, but the pre-production work hasn't started yet.

About Kalidnay (shadar-kai are canon in DS thanks this cursed zone) in Ravenloft I imagine this domain like enemy or rival against illithids from Bluetspur, because both are psionic manifesters. Also I thought a story about the high priestess suffering by the dark powers a curse of genre swap when she tried to pretend being Kalid-Ma, the "sleeping" sorcerer-king to stop a conspiracy and potential coup d'etat.

Kalidnay may be very dangerous but it isn't true gothic horror. It is as mixing John Carter, martian warlord and Army of Darkness. A Conan's adventure would be closer to gothic horror. It needs something with more Lovecraftian style.

In Athas there is the Dead Land, a cursed zone where only undeads move, lacking life totally. Today a scenery like this isn't seen so terrifying but as the stage of a videogame.

* Would you allow tomemist shamans with incarnum soulmelds in your DS games, or in official fiction, and binders with vestige pact magic?

Coroc

Adventurer

* Would you allow tomemist shamans with incarnum soulmelds in your DS games, or in official fiction, and binders with vestige pact magic?

Only divine source are the elements for my understanding, ok there is stil lthe sphere of the cosmos, but pact magic? Hm. Eventually a warlock who has a pact with an avengian could be a solution for 5e totemist shaman. His focus would be a totem (Instead of blade book or chain) then.
I hope I did understand your character build halfway, it sounds like one of these 3e super special combos made out of several splatbooks.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
Somebody said Athas is a demiplane out of prime material plane, it is isolated. The canon says nothing about the "crimson sphere", and this is only fan-art. And it is harder to add new things, as classes.
Athas isn't a demiplane, it is a world on the Prime Material (the prime material does not have "demiplanes"). It is still very isolated, as there are only a handful of portals in and out, and the ones that exist are to the Border Ethereal (called the Grey), the Shadowfell, or the Elemental Planes, but those places suck too so people don't try to find/use them to escape Athas. There is also an Athasian Domain of Dread called Kalidnay (although editions disagree as to whether it is in the Grey or the Shadowfell), but again it sucks to live in.

You can approach Athas with a Spelljammer but Athas doesn't really have the tech to leave that way. The only other "safe" way to leave is a portal to the World Serpent Inn, but that door is locked.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
You can approach Athas with a Spelljammer
Err... based on what source?

The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook basically says Athas shouldn't be used with Spelljammer settings. If you were to want to have it in Spelljammer it then basically says it's unreachable. No tomes list the routes to its Sphere.

DM's can do anything in their worlds/games, but TSR publications wanted to keep Athas as far from Spelljamming as possible because... that would defeat the purpose of Dark Sun. If you could leave the planet you would.

Bitbrain

Adventurer
You know the lore on how DS got its selection of races?

Several races e.g. orcs, present in DS in the so called green age (= distant past) were genocided by powerful magic.

OMG
I myself like to imagine that Athas (Dark Sun) is the future of Oerth (Greyhawk).

They feel closer together in tone to me.

LuisCarlos17f

Adventurer
I like the concept of vestige pact magic, where the binder would be as a freelance worker, and each patron as mini advanced/prestige class wearing a different suit every day. I didn't like "magic of incarnum" but the totemist (totem shaman) would deserve a second chance, like a mini-monster template and the points of essence wouldn't be for buffer but as metamagic effects. But the incarnum for metagame effects is too complex when you are the DM controlling monsters. I would have liked a class as a pokemon trainer or a summoner (pathfinder) with a monster pet with incarnum soulmelds to get special monster traits.

Of course if this come back, it will not a surprise, but it will need a lot of time for playtesting and feedback.

* Ravenloft isn't only about killing the monster of the week, there are many titles about that, but also a mixture of dark urban fantasy, mystery, thriller and supernatural conspiracies... and about the wish/fear of the supernatural punishment for your bad actions.

I have got some about Ravenloft, continuity and canon. What happens about things published for 3rd Ed by White Wolf, or the ideas published in internet?

Shouldn't the core be so big as Europe...or Russia? I am afraid this needs something like a sandbox, space where other can add their own creations.

* I wouldn't descart Elric adaptation as a cartoon for adults.

* Some theory says Athas is a demiplane, created when the contact with the gods was lost.

When DS comes back, somebody will ask explanations about the rest of the planet, and the metaplot after the pentad prism novels.

Would you allo psiforged (psionic warforged) and shardminds in DS? I have imagine a continent in DS without local flora, but a eternal war between elemental feys (genies?) and an invasion of infernal bugs (outsiders, not vermins), maybe from the far realm, or even living-constructs, like the sheen creatures.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer

The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook basically says Athas shouldn't be used with Spelljammer settings. If you were to want to have it in Spelljammer it then basically says it's unreachable. No tomes list the routes to its Sphere.

DM's can do anything in their worlds/games, but TSR publications wanted to keep Athas as far from Spelljamming as possible because... that would defeat the purpose of Dark Sun. If you could leave the planet you would.
Adventurers have a habit of finding the unknown and doing the impossible. It doesn’t say it can’t be done. Just that the way isn’t known.

that handbook is also a very good resource. Highly recommend it.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Adventurers have a habit of finding the unknown and doing the impossible. It doesn’t say it can’t be done. Just that the way isn’t known.
It does sound like a fun game... just that TSR never really wanted the two to mingle really, but that they knew all of us out here would go :p and do it anyway.

I can just imagine some Spelljammer that followed an offshoot route in the flow for generations popping out in Athaspace... can you imagine how unprepared they'd be to land on Athas? Poor 'jammers! :)

I can also imagine a great plotline around a Sorcerer-king getting ahold of their Helm and working to get themselves off-world and having to stop that somehow.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire

Haven't read that source, my bad I didn't know that. I do believe that if Athas is within a crystal sphere (and I haven't seen anything that says it hasn't been), it could be approached by a Spelljammer if someone from outside wanted to. I don't know why they would as Athas has almost nothing valuable to someone from another world, and Athas doesn't have the tech or know-how to build a Spelljammer, so functionally it is completely cut off that way as well. It's like you're stuck on a very small deserted island; sure a ship could stop and save you, but if the island is so small they can barely see it, why would they ever stop?

I'll also add they Githyanki once invaded Athas through a portal from the Astral Plane, I forgot about that. Can't remember why they were interested in Athas.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
* Some theory says Athas is a demiplane, created when the contact with the gods was lost.

When DS comes back, somebody will ask explanations about the rest of the planet, and the metaplot after the pentad prism novels.

Would you allo psiforged (psionic warforged) and shardminds in DS? I have imagine a continent in DS without local flora, but a eternal war between elemental feys (genies?) and an invasion of infernal bugs (outsiders, not vermins), maybe from the far realm, or even living-constructs, like the sheen creatures.
Never heard that theory, and it would be wrong. Dark Sun is not a demiplane, it's on the material plane. Last source I read said that when the Gods and Primordials made peace, this is the world the Primordials got to keep. But eventually they got tired of it/destroyed and left.

The metaplot and the pentad prism novels were abandoned in 4e. As they should, as they killed nearly all the VIPs in Dark Sun. It will almost certainly not be revisited.

Please no shardmines and warforged in DS, those are Eberron things. DS has it's own unique things like Thri-keen, Mul and Half-Giants. The reason DS doesn't have flora is because of the destructive magics the Sorceror Kings used.

gyor

Hero
Never heard that theory, and it would be wrong. Dark Sun is not a demiplane, it's on the material plane. Last source I read said that when the Gods and Primordials made peace, this is the world the Primordials got to keep. But eventually they got tired of it/destroyed and left.

The metaplot and the pentad prism novels were abandoned in 4e. As they should, as they killed nearly all the VIPs in Dark Sun. It will almost certainly not be revisited.

Please no shardmines and warforged in DS, those are Eberron things. DS has it's own unique things like Thri-keen, Mul and Half-Giants. The reason DS doesn't have flora is because of the destructive magics the Sorceror Kings used.
Shardminds are not an Eberron thing, they are a Nentir Vale and maybe Forgotten Realms thing. I mean they could show up in Eberron, but Eberron is not the source of Shardminds. Shardminds aren't constructs, they are broken pieces of the Living Gate, a crystal gate that protects against the Far Realms.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I just can’t imagine the point in a setting that connects all of reality and if if you look and search hard enough you can get anywhere and then saying not this setting. Oh and not this one too. Oh and we created this new one that you can’t go to also. It’s not like you are opening up the place to mass migration and trade.

Bitbrain

Adventurer
Haven't read that source, my bad I didn't know that. I do believe that if Athas is within a crystal sphere (and I haven't seen anything that says it hasn't been), it could be approached by a Spelljammer if someone from outside wanted to. I don't know why they would as Athas has almost nothing valuable to someone from another world, and Athas doesn't have the tech or know-how to build a Spelljammer, so functionally it is completely cut off that way as well. It's like you're stuck on a very small deserted island; sure a ship could stop and save you, but if the island is so small they can barely see it, why would they ever stop?

I'll also add they Githyanki once invaded Athas through a portal from the Astral Plane, I forgot about that. Can't remember why they were interested in Athas.
Well if my memory serves correctly, the Githyanki actually try to invade Athas twice. It’s the main idea behind the Black Spine adventure, if I recall correctly.

The first invasion was a simple raiding expedition, like they are prone to do on other worlds. Unfortunately for them, the natives of Athas fought back and proved to be too much for them, so they retreated.

Some of the Githyanki got left behind in the retreat, and mutated into the Gith.

The Gith, for reasons having to do with the environment of Athas, possess greater psionic abilties than their ancestors, and when contact is restablished between the two subspecies after centuries, the Githyanki become curious and rally the Gith into a horde. Their plan is to observe the Gith in action and see if the Athasian Gith’s greater psionics can be weaponized.

Unfortunately, kinda like that one episode of Star Trek Voyager with Species 8472, a band of adventurers from Athas massacre the Gith horde on Athas and then cross over into the Astral Plane where they wreak havoc inside a Githyanki fortress (killing the Githyanki Queen, whose name is Trinth) before returning home to Athas.

In the aftermath, the Githyanki survivors declare Athas to be forever off-limits. The Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Half-Giants, Muls, and Thri-Kreen of that world are simply too dangerous.

EDIT
Hmm... Apparently I’m Tetrasodium for Dark Sun.

:confused:

Advertisement