D&D 5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

Somebody said Athas is a demiplane out of prime material plane, it is isolated. The canon says nothing about the "crimson sphere", and this is only fan-art. And it is harder to add new things, as classes.

Dragonlance is awesome as novels, but for TTRPG is harder when all the prominence is for the heroes of the lance, and family. Other matter is if the chronomancers come back to 5th Ed, Krynn could be the main "victim", with fans creating their own parallel timelines, and maybe this would be right.

The cover of Wild Elves by Brom inspires me a crossover between Krynn and Athas in an alternative timeline where the world of Dragonlance is suffering an apocalypse by the defilers from Athas (and maybe Chaos is the responsible).

* Ravenloft needs a sourcebook about Vladantilan, a land in the material plane rule by vampyres (living vampires) and home by Vladimir Luzig. I think if dark powers want to create a zombie apocalypse this will be the main candidate to suffer it. Even I suggest this could be caused by PCs to avoid other zones with more innocent people could suffer that horrible fate.

Sometimes I have imagined a urban dark fantasy, with arcologies (super skyscrapers) but with a noir-punk look, as Tim Burton's Batman movies. Here the psionics were superheroes and supervillains, but there were attacked by unknown creatures from the far realm. When these died dropped a poisonous gas, and then the psionics become mad, psychopaths. (yes, I am plagiarizing the comic "Leaving Megalopolis"). But isn't terrifying when famous superheroes (or ersatz) become monsters? When the temptation of mixing Ravenloft and White Wolf's World of Darkness is too strong, I imagine dark powers tainting, invading, infecting an "outlander" world as 7th Sea or Gothic Earth. This would allow so many supernatural factions.

Have you thought about how could be a race of living constructs (as warforged or shardminds) in Ravenloft? Maybe somebody wanted to create half-golems, or survived when a living carrionette tried a soul transference but with secondary effects, or created by Easan the mad. Maybe created as canon fodder because undeads can't eat or infect constructs.

* After the success of Games of Thrones and getting ready for a second season of the Witcher and Elric of Melnibone also is going to be adapted to the screen I dare to say live-action adaptation of some D&D franchises has the open doors, but they need a really good story.

* My (new) suggestion for WotC and Hasbro is to create a fantasy world but set in the atomic age, with a panzer-punk look (fantasy WWII), because a fictional enemy as the Cobra-la alien empire is more politically correct than Japanese or Russian armies in the second world war. And this world could be used as mash-up of the rest of Hasbro franchises. (Hummmmm, a crossover between Uma Musume Pretty Dervy and Equestria Girls would be fun).

Coroc

Hero
I have played dark sun for years with plane hopping. The setting survived just fine. And there was a dark sun domain in ravenloft. The setting didn’t implode. In fact the dark powers is the perfect way to do it and not make it easy.

The darksun segment in Ravenloft does not hurt a bit, it is just darksun turned up to 11 and normally if you complete the adventure herein you should return to the real darksun, that is no planetravelling. But every char from DS ending u in FR or wherever would stay there and not try to get back, so that's not the same for me.

Coroc

Hero
I see Ravnica being Eberron's future, Athas would Toril future if it keep blowing itself up and killing its Goddess of Magic.

You know the lore on how DS got its selection of races?

Several races e.g. orcs, present in DS in the so called green age (= distant past) were genocided by powerful magic.

OMG

OMG

They just introduced the hobbit mutant ninja tortles to FR and now they get genocided along with dragon born and (dual rapier wielding) gnomes?

You are so grognard! And you know it! How dare you :p ?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Really? Whew that would be tough, Elric is harder to realize than GoT even.
Got any Sauce on that?
I would kill to see a good adaptation of Elric or Corum. I don’t know if it can be done. And I fear a piece of crap movie. This puts a shiver of fear down my back as I fear how they will bastardize the work or try to be culturally and politically relevant with it or bad special effects.

Coroc

Hero
I would kill to see a good adaptation of Elric or Corum. I don’t know if it can be done. And I fear a piece of crap movie. This puts a shiver of fear down my back as I fear how they will bastardize the work or try to be culturally and politically relevant with it or bad special effects.

Elric is super-incorrect if you measure it with todays standards, you got every cliché served.

But see it the other way also : Elric himself is physically challenged, without his drugs or the power Stormbringer gives to him.

There are plans, but the pre-production work hasn't started yet.

About Kalidnay (shadar-kai are canon in DS thanks this cursed zone) in Ravenloft I imagine this domain like enemy or rival against illithids from Bluetspur, because both are psionic manifesters. Also I thought a story about the high priestess suffering by the dark powers a curse of genre swap when she tried to pretend being Kalid-Ma, the "sleeping" sorcerer-king to stop a conspiracy and potential coup d'etat.

Kalidnay may be very dangerous but it isn't true gothic horror. It is as mixing John Carter, martian warlord and Army of Darkness. A Conan's adventure would be closer to gothic horror. It needs something with more Lovecraftian style.

In Athas there is the Dead Land, a cursed zone where only undeads move, lacking life totally. Today a scenery like this isn't seen so terrifying but as the stage of a videogame.

* Would you allow tomemist shamans with incarnum soulmelds in your DS games, or in official fiction, and binders with vestige pact magic?

Coroc

Hero

* Would you allow tomemist shamans with incarnum soulmelds in your DS games, or in official fiction, and binders with vestige pact magic?

Only divine source are the elements for my understanding, ok there is stil lthe sphere of the cosmos, but pact magic? Hm. Eventually a warlock who has a pact with an avengian could be a solution for 5e totemist shaman. His focus would be a totem (Instead of blade book or chain) then.
I hope I did understand your character build halfway, it sounds like one of these 3e super special combos made out of several splatbooks.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Somebody said Athas is a demiplane out of prime material plane, it is isolated. The canon says nothing about the "crimson sphere", and this is only fan-art. And it is harder to add new things, as classes.

Athas isn't a demiplane, it is a world on the Prime Material (the prime material does not have "demiplanes"). It is still very isolated, as there are only a handful of portals in and out, and the ones that exist are to the Border Ethereal (called the Grey), the Shadowfell, or the Elemental Planes, but those places suck too so people don't try to find/use them to escape Athas. There is also an Athasian Domain of Dread called Kalidnay (although editions disagree as to whether it is in the Grey or the Shadowfell), but again it sucks to live in.

You can approach Athas with a Spelljammer but Athas doesn't really have the tech to leave that way. The only other "safe" way to leave is a portal to the World Serpent Inn, but that door is locked.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases