D&D 5E Chris Perkins drops 2020 hint!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Shardminds are not an Eberron thing, they are a Nentir Vale

Fully new race for 4e, so Nentir Vale, not FR except through the "here's how you could include them for your campaign here" kind of sidebar.

It’s the main idea behind the Black Spine adventure

I only remember the first invasion in this adventure, not the second you speak of... unless you're talking about the planned invasion that gets stopped in Black Spine?

Well, and therein lies the rub eh? In all of D&D lore, there is no Githyanki Queen named Trinth outside of this adventure, at least that I've ever seen.

All I've ever seen is the Lich Queen Vlaakith.

So... maybe the Githyanki of Dark Sun are not supposed to be the Githyanki of the rest of the published worlds?

Dunno.

Quickleaf

Legend
Fully new race for 4e, so Nentir Vale, not FR except through the "here's how you could include them for your campaign here" kind of sidebar.

I only remember the first invasion in this adventure, not the second you speak of... unless you're talking about the planned invasion that gets stopped in Black Spine?

Well, and therein lies the rub eh? In all of D&D lore, there is no Githyanki Queen named Trinth outside of this adventure, at least that I've ever seen.

So... maybe the Githyanki of Dark Sun are not supposed to be the Githyanki of the rest of the published worlds?

Dunno.

The answer is in an AD&D adventure called DSE2 Black Spine.

The gith of Athas were descendants of githyanki who established a fortress on Athas millennia ago, but were devastated by a psionic bomb used by the githzerai who assaulted the fortress.

Salthorae

The answer is in an AD&D adventure called DSE2 Black Spine.

The gith of Athas were descendants of githyanki who established a fortress on Athas millennia ago, but were devastated by a psionic bomb used by the githzerai who assaulted the fortress.

You mean the adventure that I referenced already in my own post?

I know about that adventure and its contents.

I was questioning the phrasing that @Bitbrain used of "first invasion" vs. "second invasion". It seemed as though they were talking about two invasions that happen within that adventure.

If they are just talking about the original invasion that yielded the Gith and then the second invasion being the one the adventure itself deals with, ok.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun

The first invasion is the exposition filled “prelude set who-knows-how-many-centuries-ago”, if you will.

EDIT
Quickleaf’s explanation is probably more accurate. I don't have the PDF open, so am relying on memory.

Dunno.

I don’t know either. Maybe a faction that broke away and established a new kingdom on the Astral Plane?

I do know that time isn’t supposed to work the same on the Astral Plane like it does on the Material in the adventure.

The adventure concludes with the heroes experiencing the consequences of a kind of time dilation: days have passed for Athas, while the heroes themselves might only have been on the Astral Plane for a few hours...

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The first invasion is the exposition filled “prelude set who-knows-how-many-centuries-ago”, if you will.

EDIT
Quickleaf’s explanation is probably more accurate. I don't have the PDF open, so am relying on memory.

I don’t know either. Maybe a faction that broke away and established a new kingdom on the Astral Plane?

I do know that time isn’t supposed to work the same on the Astral Plane like it does on the Material in the adventure.

The adventure concludes with the heroes experiencing the consequences of a kind of time dilation: days have passed for Athas, while the heroes themselves might only have been on the Astral Plane for a few hours...

Found an excerpt from Black Spine;

When Trinth came into possession of the artifact Yrinolir, she began to conceive a great plan. Whether this was her doing, the items doing, or a combination of the two is impossible to say. With the powers of her newly found treasure, she began to assemble an army of faithful followers. As their number grew, they sought out and claimed the asteroid fragment upon which the city of Galnaki would be built. As the city grew, Trinth began to research an ancient story that had been handed down in her family for generations. This tale told of a strange planet on the Prime Material Plane that was almost uninhabitable. The harsh nature of life on this world had twisted the inhabitants, making them far more powerful as they fought to survive. Trinth dreamed of finding this world, claiming it for her own, and using the powers she would find there to seize control of the entire Prime Material Plane. With that prize in her grip. she would turn her attention to the rest of the Astral Plane and overthrow the githyanki lich-queen. Trinth sent her agents to the Prime Material Plane with orders to find this mythical world. In the end, one of them came across the burnt wastes of Athas. There could be no doubt that this was the planet of Trinths legends.

So she is named as a Queen in the adventure, but she is very clearly not the queen of the the Githyanki; she is leading her own group of followers and seeks to overthrow the Lich-Queen. So she's a pretender.

gyor

Legend

Dunno.

The Living Gate appeared in an FR novel, I don't remember which one, so by extension it seems reasonable to concider Shardminds are in FR.

Update: Living Gate

Urriak Uruk

I just can’t imagine the point in a setting that connects all of reality and if if you look and search hard enough you can get anywhere and then saying not this setting. Oh and not this one too. Oh and we created this new one that you can’t go to also. It’s not like you are opening up the place to mass migration and trade.

I don't think anyone has said that? You can leave Athas, it's just really difficult, more-so than any other world on the Material Plane.

Salthorae

So she is named as a Queen in the adventure, but she is very clearly not the queen of the the Githyanki; she is leading her own group of followers and seeks to overthrow the Lich-Queen. So she's a pretender.

Great find!

I don't have that book around anymore so wouldn't have found that blurb!

Urriak Uruk

Great find!

I don't have that book around anymore so wouldn't have found that blurb!

Yeah it's definitely a fun bit of lore, that not everyone is loyal to the Lich-Queen.

The module overall also adds credence to my view of how Dark Sun planar travel works, that it's not technically that difficult to reach Athas by portal or other planar travel, it's the getting out that is much more difficult (the Githyanki have little problem getting into Athas, but leaving seems almost impossible).

Salthorae

The Living Gate appeared in an FR novel, I don't remember which one, so by extension it seems reasonable to concider Shardminds are in FR.

Update: Living Gate

Ugh. I stopped consuming FR fiction material with the advent of the Spellplague and 4e, I'm still only getting caught up.

So a gate the size of eyelashes in the underdark of the Feywild and is mentioned in a short story only in any lore somehow birthed a race of people? I... guess? I suppose that makes it canon to FR, but again.... ugh.

Remove ads