D&D 5E Christopher Perkins Talks About The Return of Vecna, Venger, & More D&D Villains

Venger, Kelek, Warduke, and the Red Wizards are all coming soon!

Perkins reiterates that League of Malevolence villains Venger, Kelek, and Warduke will be appearing. He doesn't confirm that Venger is a Red Wizard of Thay, but does confirm that the Red Wizard storyline is coming in 2025.

The big Vecna adventure, with Amanda Hamon as lead developer, is lined up for 2024, and is Vecna's 'scary comeback' and goes to many worlds.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In 3E, they made him the Evil Elemental Eye, and hence the baddie in Teturn to the Temple of Elemental Evil. In 4E, this escalated to Tharizfun having created the Abyss, with all Demons being Elementals that he corrupted. 5E saw him tone down to a suggested Warlock patron and the big baddie behind the scenes for Princes golf the Apocalypse, going back to the 3E approach.
Huh. Well, that's certainly enough to build on now.

That said, I'm not sure I like them merging two mysterious gods into one. That feels like an overall loss.

And I don't like golf, either, but making it a key part of a plan to cause the apocalypse feels a bit much.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. Well, that's certainly enough to build on now.

That said, I'm not sure I like them merging two mysterious gods into one. That feels like an overall loss.

And I don't like golf, either, but making it a key part of a plan to cause the apocalypse feels a bit much.
Yeah, I think that's a fair point, but it's been over twenty years since Monte Cook made the conflating, so it's as traditional as the original two were as seperate entities. WotC isn't bound by "canon" (thank goodness), but they're probably going to keep that pairing together whenever it cones up (in the DMG lore glossary, perhaps?).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, they've been one god almost as long as they were (presumably) two different gods. And Gygax never got around to addressing that dangling thread, so it's inevitable someone else would.

We're just lucky this isn't Star Wars and every other character in D&D is connected to every other character. Tharizdun and Zuggtmoy went together to prom!

Remove ads

Remove ads