OSR Chromatic Dungeons has Launched! (Kickstarter)

Retreater

Legend
One thing I'd love to see, after looking at the previews, is to have ability modifiers included in the monster statblocks. Like if a creature has a Str 15, having a simple [+2] (or whatever in brackets next to it) would keep me from having to reference a chart or another book while in play.
Is that something that could be added?

Sacrosanct

Legend
One thing I'd love to see, after looking at the previews, is to have ability modifiers included in the monster statblocks. Like if a creature has a Str 15, having a simple [+2] (or whatever in brackets next to it) would keep me from having to reference a chart or another book while in play.
Is that something that could be added?
I get what you're saying, but that would be a formatting nightmare, for a few reasons. 1, since this is compatible with AD&D, each ability has different bonuses. They aren't like 3e on, where a 15 is the same bonus for WIS as it is for STR. Secondly, it would mean I'd have to go in and add a line to each monster entry, and that would lead to shifting everything down. I'd have to re-layout the entire book by doing so (which took weeks initially).

So while I see your point, and understand, I think the effort would be too much at this point :/

The good news is that you really don't need modifiers for monsters in that regard. Damages for attacks are already pre-calculated, which means the only time monster ability scores come into play is if they are forced to make an ability check. And in that regard, ability checks are all roll under, so having the score rather than a modifier is more relevant. So you really wouldn't need to reference the ability tables unless it was a one off exception for some reason anyway.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
(Formatting is weird. Apparently, don’t try to use a ‘greater than’ sign in a post on ENWorld.)

Last edited:

Remove ads