• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chronicles of Riddick future setting

Dark Wolf 97

First Post
Hi,

I watched the Chronicles of Riddick (CoR) the other day and my players are dying to play a game based on the setting. So if you guys could help me out a bit and give me some ideas, or maybe some links to sites that have planet names and histories and such. Heres what I have so far (not much):

Races:
Human
Furion
Elemental
Necromonger (template)

Classes:
as d20 modern of future
any suggestions for advanced classes would be appreciated

Technology:
help!

Organizations:
Necromongers
Elementals (represent balance)
various plantetary govts.

Monsters:
hellhounds

anything you can help with would be appreciated!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
One thing that's easy to convert is taking standard technology and converting it to quasi-dead, organic technology. The necromonger aesthetic involves lots of ornamentation and using psionic power from people in pain instead of normal tech. I think this can just be a cosmetic change.

rowport

First Post
C. Baize said:
Furyans are still humans.
Nothing terribly special about them. They simply have a warrior culture.
Really? Is Riddick unique in having Darkvision and Light Sensititivity, not a racial trait? And, he sure seems faster than a normal human. I am not arguing- do not know much other than watching the movie- but definitely got the impression that Riddick is not a normal human- just not sure whether all Furyans (Furions?) are superhuman.

C. Baize

First Post
The Purifier is also Furyan, and it shows a female Furyan (Shirah) in the director's cut... Riddick had an "Eyeshine" surgery done on himself at the Butcher Bay prison. That's the reason for his lowlight vision, and light sensitivity.

It's my opinion that Riddick is essentially a world class athlete. He's fast, tough, and strong. But not as a racial factor, as seen with The Purifier. What I might give them as a "Racial" bonus would be a Will save bonus. "Furyans... Defiant to the end."

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Get the novelization of it by Alan Dean Foster. It's actually got a fairly decent appendix on the background of the setting. Not huge, but I think about 20 pages of background.

Though really, I'm surprised that Mr. Diesel hasn't done anything with the property, RPG wise. He's a role-player, and he likes the setting. He set up his own development company to make a video game based on it, so he's interested in further development of it beyond the movies.

scourger

Explorer
develop it!

I don't play d20 Modern or Future, but I would but a CoR d20 product. Adventures (modules) using what's already in the d20 game would be especially fun.

C. Baize

First Post
Yeah... You could do Chronicles of Riddick with minimal new rules.
It's mostly setting heavy. PL6 Technology (except the Necros who arguably have PL7, or possibly PL8.... other than their stupid armor).
I should probably pick up the novelizations. I'm sure they're more in-depth.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I apologize for being negative, but I was really disappointed in the movie. There's enough bad cliche's in it to choke a horse. At the very least, whoever named the planets and systems needs a course in "Avoiding teenaged fantasy novel naming techniques." :)

Piratecat said:
I apologize for being negative, but I was really disappointed in the movie. There's enough bad cliche's in it to choke a horse. At the very least, whoever named the planets and systems needs a course in "Avoiding teenaged fantasy novel naming techniques." :)
I liked it being cheesy, actually. It felt like some of my early experiences in RPGs, and I think that was the feel Vin Diesel was trying to get across. That and Conan. ;)

As for the topic...I'd say Furyans would be near human. At least a bonus to Will saves and possibly a little more. Hopefully if the next two movies do get made we'll get more info on them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads