• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chronicles of Riddick future setting

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
You mean we don't even get to vote? ;)
Post a poll.

I voted with my dollar. Not only did I pay to see it on the big screen, but I also bought the DVD - not just the standard version, but the one that cost twice as much and had the extra half hour cartoon DVD that I haven't watched yet.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
As for the topic...I'd say Furyans would be near human.

Only really mad! Cause that's the name of their planet, see. And a whole solar system is named Glacia because one planet is cold. It's like a hidden code; if you know what to look for, you can tell that Aereon is an Elemental because of her name. Back on the planet she hangs out with Stonos, Splashala and Bernie. :p

See? Very sneaky of them.

Seriously, I agree that Furyans would probably be considered human. You can always give them +2/-2 to any one stat.

reanjr

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Get the novelization of it by Alan Dean Foster. It's actually got a fairly decent appendix on the background of the setting. Not huge, but I think about 20 pages of background.

Though really, I'm surprised that Mr. Diesel hasn't done anything with the property, RPG wise. He's a role-player, and he likes the setting. He set up his own development company to make a video game based on it, so he's interested in further development of it beyond the movies.

Maybe he's hoping and waiting for the other two movies in the trilogy.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Only really mad! Cause that's the name of their planet, see. And a whole solar system is named Glacia because one planet is cold. It's like a hidden code; if you know what to look for, you can tell that Aereon is an Elemental because of her name. Back on the planet she hangs out with Stonos, Splashala and Bernie. :p
Yes, we get the naming convention. Its not at all subtle. How is that any different than a cloud planet, a desert planet, a jungle planet, and a forest planet? You'll find this sort of thing all over the place in Scifi. Riddick is very pulpy. The universe is little more than stage dressing for the action, and that's fine. Don't look for a ton of depth here. Its still an incredibly fun universe to mess around in, provided that you keep the focus where it belongs.

If anything, it makes it easier to invent races and planets to the universe since its all kind of intuitive and dark.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Whisperfoot said:
If anything, it makes it easier to invent races and planets to the universe since its all kind of intuitive and dark.

the first of these will be wily, wise people from Intuitia; the second will be folk from Umbros.

Hee hee, I crack myself up. Don't take me too seriously; I enjoyed big sections of the movie. It just let me down in some areas where I wish it hadn't.

C. Baize

First Post
Piratecat said:
the first of these will be wily, wise people from Intuitia; the second will be folk from Umbros.

Hee hee, I crack myself up. Don't take me too seriously; I enjoyed big sections of the movie. It just let me down in some areas where I wish it hadn't.

[Brooklyn accent]Hey, Vinnie Da Diesel... you readin' dis? You want we should rough dis guy up?[/Brooklyn accent] :lol:

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
rowport said:
Really? Is Riddick unique in having Darkvision and Light Sensititivity, not a racial trait? And, he sure seems faster than a normal human. I am not arguing- do not know much other than watching the movie- but definitely got the impression that Riddick is not a normal human- just not sure whether all Furyans (Furions?) are superhuman.

Per the movie 'Pitch Black', the night vision is an artifical augmentation. He received it while on a penal planet.

As for faster.... I'm more inclined to think 'smarter'.

Surprised no one has brought up Pitch Black yet....

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads