• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chronicles of Riddick future setting

Whisperfoot said:
Try right clicking the little box with the red X in it and selecting "Show Picture".
I was tempted...but I'm resisting that. I haven't seen the Holiday Special in years, and I don't plan to bring back any bad memories. :p

EDIT: And Show Picture doesn't show it anyway.

Last edited:

Dark Wolf 97

First Post
Wow, thanks for allthe interest everyone. I've worked out the races for the most part, and I am in the process of cooking up technology and a storyline (any ideas would help). I plan to use the Grim-n-Gritty rules for my game to give it a 'grim' edge.

Furyon
+1 on saves (like halflings)
+2 Con, -2 Cha (tough but not personable)
+2 on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks
maybe more?

This is based more of Riddick than the other guy,and also the idea that Furyons aren't human.

Air Elemental
+2 Dex, -2 Con
Self conceal (10% miss chance)
Glide (feather fall)
+2 on Hide and Move Silently checks
LA +1 (?)

Human
as is

Other Elementals?

I'll be using PL 7 weapons for the most part, with customized armor, and some technological melee weapons

Frostmarrow

First Post
One interesting thing about the furyans is that it seems like they can stand intense heat. Riddick does some sort of rope-swinging thing in 700°C to rescue Jack/Kyra whithout flinching. Also, the warmonger/furyan-dude walks right out into the sun of Crematoria and even though his left arm is scorched off he keeps moving.

Silly names in bold. Piratecat, you crack me up too. -Umbros? :)

I like Riddick and things are looking up. They need something really special to crown the trilogy with, but already it is quite good and original (except the names).

Last edited:

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Riddick is superhuman

The only reason you don't think that Riddick is superhuman is because you have been weened on d20 games. The things he does in those movies are clearly superhuman by real world standards. Some of the moves he makes border on Wuxia in the movies, while most people around him don't have those abilities. I would probably use Aberrant d20 with Modern d20 as the backbone (classes) for this game (along with, of course, Future d20). That way I don't have to worry about races.

C. Baize

First Post
Achan hiArusa said:
The only reason you don't think that Riddick is superhuman is because you have been weened on d20 games. The things he does in those movies are clearly superhuman by real world standards. Some of the moves he makes border on Wuxia in the movies, while most people around him don't have those abilities. I would probably use Aberrant d20 with Modern d20 as the backbone (classes) for this game (along with, of course, Future d20). That way I don't have to worry about races.

Nah. The reason I don't think Riddick is superhuman is because he's not superhuman. He's a world class athlete who happens to also be an incredible fighter. I didn't see him doing anything that could be described as Wuxia, though I did see a couple of the Necros doing so.
I saw Riddick leaping off a higher ground than his opponent, and I saw him do a backflip... Both of which are very possible for athletes.
Nah... he's not superhuman. He's just VERY VERY good at what he does.

Oh... and I was weaned on basic D&D... in the '70s. Followed by Gamma World, and then Star Frontiers. ;)

As for the Necromonger Furyan - The Purifier -, it was made pretty clear that Necros don't feel pain in the normal fashion. Considering Dame Vaako was searing her lower eyelid for aesthetics without flinching, and Irgun was walking around with a knife in his back with no problems... (this sort of breaks down with the Lord Marshal getting stabbed in the back by Kyra, and it putting him on his knees) ... Looked to me like he was intent on walking out as far as he could into the burning heat, to kill himself.
While he could have simply walked a foot outside, and done it as well... I think it was meant to be a message on Furyan willpower.

That is my opinion, anyway... and how I would rule it, in game.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Achan hiArusa said:
The only reason you don't think that Riddick is superhuman is because you have been weened on d20 games. The things he does in those movies are clearly superhuman by real world standards.

The same is true of most action movies. The question is, are the things he does superhuman by the movie world's standards?

The answer, I think, is no - we see Jack/Kyra doing some pretty crazy wirework fighting as well, for example. So Riddick doesn't need to be superhuman - he's just higher level. ;)

J

C. Baize

First Post
drnuncheon said:
The same is true of most action movies.

Quite true... It's sort of a standard... We don't really go to see Die Hard to watch John McCain step on a piece of glass with his bare feet, start cussing, and be useless for the next couple of hours because he had to pull a huge piece of glass out of his foot, and it made him nauseous...
Nope... we watch it because he plays with the pain... he gets hurt, and he moves on.
Same with xXx... He does things that are just not probable for the average Joe.... but he's not the average Joe... he's incredibly well trained (even if it's self trained), and he has the will to play with the pain. He gets yanked out of a moving plane, and instead of breaking his shoulder, or hyperextending his hip or knee (or even getting rolled up in the tether he was attached to and rolling around in), he jumps up and yells something about wanting to do it again...
By definition, the Action Hero is not your average Joe. :)

Good point, drnuncheon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads