• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chronicles of Riddick future setting

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Yeah. Whatever.

D&D, d20, Star Frontiers. They are all high hit point, routinely do impossible things type games. Fun, but not terribly realistic.

Yes, given time, preparation, psyching up, carboloading, and proper equipment, any Olympic athlete could reproduce once or twice the feats that Riddick was able to do ROUTINELY and REPEATEDLY. That is my definition of superhuman. It doesn't have to be lifting cars or running 50 miles per hour. Being a peak human performance for hours on end is superhuman.

C. Baize

First Post
Well... We're at an impasse, you and I.
We quite disagree, and neither of us will change the other's mind.
I've given my opinion, for what it's worth, and I hope it's useful.
Other than that... I'm not going to argue.

Shawn Carman

Explorer
I seem to recall as most of the "superhuman" things that took place were on Crematoria (or whatever that planet's name was). I just assumed that it had slightly lower than normal gravity, which would account for a lot of it.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
You're right

C. Baize said:
Well... We're at an impasse, you and I.
We quite disagree, and neither of us will change the other's mind.
I've given my opinion, for what it's worth, and I hope it's useful.
Other than that... I'm not going to argue.

I came to this same point with a friend of my last night. When I discovered I was getting angry over some dumb application of d20 rules, I had to drop it. It took him longer to drop it than you did, to your credit.

Storyteller01

First Post
Just remembered...Riddick also has an extreme tolerance for pain.

In Pitch Black, he had three joints dislocated (both of his shoulders when he escaped his bonds, and his elbow during a fight with the peace officer bringing him in). He barely made a sound, and relocated all three joints within seconds (he realigned his elbow in mid-fight!!!).

Speaking as someone who's had his patella dislocated about 6 times, these are not pleasant experiences...

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Piratecat said:
At the very least, whoever named the planets and systems needs a course in "Avoiding teenaged fantasy novel naming techniques." :)

Yeah. Same with that Herbert guy. I mean come on, Dune? For a desert planet? Laaaaaame. And whoever called this state 'Pennsylvania'...Penns' Woods, there's a lot of woods, yeah, yeah, we get it, especially when we have to rake all the leaves. ;)

In some ways, it makes a lot more sense than naming planets things like 'Tattooine' and 'Hoth'. I know that if I discovered a world like Hoth, it'd end up with a name like 'Icebox'. (Well, I'd probably call it Hoth because I'm a geek, and then Lucasarts Intergalactic would sue me or something.) Crematoria probably got named that because there were already planets named 'Hell', 'Inferno', 'Volcanus', and 'Aw ----, not another damn lava planet' (still pending approval).

Larry Niven's Known Space tended to name planets this way - there were worlds named Plateau, Jinx, and We Made It.

That said, I don't really think they spent that much time on the names, but it wasn't a movie-breaker for me. (Although like most Vin Diesel movies I am glad I rented it at the cheap rate.)

J

haiiro

First Post
drnuncheon said:
Yeah. Same with that Herbert guy. I mean come on, Dune? For a desert planet? Laaaaaame. And whoever called this state 'Pennsylvania'...Penns' Woods, there's a lot of woods, yeah, yeah, we get it, especially when we have to rake all the leaves. ;)

The names really bothered me when I saw it in the theater, but by the time the DVD came out I was excited about it for the parts I enjoyed. And you're right: it's not exactly a new tradition to give things pretty obvious names, whether in sci-fi or in real life.

I still have trouble swallowing "Necromongers," though -- it drips a little too heavily with self-conscious, I-pull-the-wings-off-of-butterflies-and-wear-black-armor cool. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads